• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Worcestershire- Ripple & Clifton (1 Viewer)

Ian Byrnes

Both Riplple & Clifton were worth visits over the last few days. Good numbers of Egyptian Geese at both. Little Egret, Redshank, LRPloverrs, Oystercatchers with young....etc

imgonline-com-ua-resize-AxtouQUzd44Y8qVJ.jpg

imgonline-com-ua-resize-tfLtxayJOPv.jpg

imgonline-com-ua-resize-XcKuexRqFP3HXgg.jpg

imgonline-com-ua-resize-YYVeYhloC3FOp2.jpg

Last edited:
Ripple ...sorry....spell check !

Few more pics from last few days. Great Crested Grebe, Redshank & Black Tailed Godwit (not good photo)

imgonline-com-ua-resize-Ypd7zeIHezFY.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-kmiPLNLNbcqP.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-FE1MznizTz54A1D.jpg

Last edited:
Hi ya Laurie....i must learn to read these back ! Oh well....it was close...it had a bit of red somewhere I'm sure.
Few more pics from today at Clifton. Weather much cooler, wet and windy....bit like the LYE !

imgonline-com-ua-resize-ofv1Xf6DsMDmEwcC.jpgimgonline-com-ua-resize-j8wPiCjKE5.jpgimgonline-com-ua-resize-oHT5fe8YwrvKJw.jpgimgonline-com-ua-resize-vEkjGY2GXuxUueT.jpgimgonline-com-ua-resize-BUpfKlJF7zwPHRdN.jpg

Redshank, Common Sandpiper, Common Shelduck juvenile, Pied Wagtail, LRPlover & Coot

Cuckoo flew low over fields.

Last edited:
Only been half a dozen times, nice place, best sighting was a stonking Tornado ca200 feet (the lowest they can go unless loaded for Bear) at about 600mph blasting across the water:eek!:

Good birding -

Laurie:t:

Clifton Worcestershire this morning....blustery.

Oystercatcher mum with 3 young getting bigger.
Cormorants drying out in the sun.
Redshank with Swallow dive bombing.
Group of Canada,Greylag, Egyptian Geese with Coots, Mallards, Tufted Ducks and Gulls
Redshank and Pied Wagtail

imgonline-com-ua-resize-PVd0hErQre6Kq.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-GW1NjTCS28GY.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-mGQcdFhHckt56y.jpg
imgonline-com-ua-resize-O8Wfb77oubE.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-ovkt3L4BXj.jpg

Clifton early ......cloudless beautiful morning.

One Greenshank, Pied Wagtail x10, LRP X 5, Shelduck, Egyptian Geese

imgonline-com-ua-resize-8cFsxeJWooxH2oC.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-FkpoDyNIqO.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-mhLmgEzuCJEigXf.jpg
imgonline-com-ua-resize-rzkOKsN04CK4S.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-NOPqQltUwq.jpg

More below.

Thanks....i tried to verify it from an app. Is it the turned down beak and eye flash?

Today at Ripple......a few Egyptian Geese. A good number of Canada & Greylag Geese.

Pics...Redshank, Reed Bunting, Great Crested Grebe, Heron & Skylark

imgonline-com-ua-resize-8DTte2pdQvkGROc.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-fQtZJTlu9Kujy.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-X1OkFawWG2mJpK0x.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-ROSw0zrk9qV.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-LHsice4lZ7tN.jpg

Ripple....just read on Twitter that this GCGrebe nest has been pulled apart by a dog later today......its a shame. It was empty luckily but it's the owners not the dogs who are to blame. Unfortunately this is a big dog walking area and most people let them swim in the lakes. There are virtually no waders left when a place of this size should be ideal for many different species, especially being up stream from Slimbridge and the Severn Estuary. I'm a dog owner and lover but think dogs should be on leads at such a cherished spot.

Ripple....just read on Twitter that this GCGrebe nest has been pulled apart by a dog later today......its a shame. It was empty luckily but it's the owners not the dogs who are to blame. Unfortunately this is a big dog walking area and most people let them swim in the lakes. There are virtually no waders left when a place of this size should be ideal for many different species, especially being up stream from Slimbridge and the Severn Estuary. I'm a dog owner and lover but think dogs should be on leads at such a cherished spot.

100% agree, but try telling that to your average 'out-of-control-dog' owner and all you'll get is abuse... or worse.

The footage clearly shows two eggs being eaten :-C:C

https://twitter.com/Jeremysquire/status/1282701760688205829?s=19

Andy Warr comments on the wader breeding this summer that at least 3 broods of hatched Oystercatcher only have one young left, 3 broods of Redshank have just 1 chick surviving and no Lapwings.

Last edited:
The footage clearly shows two eggs being eaten :-C:C

https://twitter.com/Jeremysquire/status/1282701760688205829?s=19

Andy Warr comments on the wader breeding this summer that at least 3 broods of hatched Oystercatcher only have one young left, 3 broods of Redshank have just 1 chick surviving and no Lapwings.

It certainly looks that way....terrible. Whilst I was viewing the Grebe, she appeared to be sitting behind the nest at first then got on it after and at a distance the nest looked empty. Unfortunately this particular lake has little vegetation and is open to abuse by dog walkers. The successful breeding (if you can call it that) is on the larger southern lake where the island sanctuary is further in to the lake and better protected from swimming dogs. Yesterday I only saw one adult Oystercatcher and one adult Redshank....no sign of any young waders and the Lapwings were no where to be seen. There is a very healthy number of GC Grebe... I saw about 10 and large numbers of Greylags and Canada Geese, although the Egyptian Geese seem to much fewer than 2-3 weeks ago.

Last edited:
Filming the incident without confronting and venting one’s spleen to me is not acceptable. The person/people responsible must be made to feel irresponsible. Forget about personal safety issues fisticuffs rarely happen and the discomfort they will experience will possibly mean that they will/might not transgress again. Do not be a shrinking violet - i say this because it does not sound like an isolated incident.....

Call them out because their behaviour is in no way acceptable. The Dog is not at fault as Ian has stated - i have one myself:t: Doing or saying nothing makes them think it is. I will refrain from detailing numerous incidents and run-ins over the years from egg thieves on Blakeney Point to dogshit in plastic bags suffice to say that confrontation, in my experience, works:t:

Good birding -

Laurie:t:

Totally agree Laurie they must be made to feel that this is shameful and unacceptable. I'm sure that Jeremy Squire would have said something.... all birders would have been outraged.

My dog accompanies me on most of my trips but is always on a lead, well behaved and is never allowed to go near Swans, waders, ducks etc. A lot of dog walkers are oblivious to birds and their nesting behaviour and just don't realise the damage and trauma they cause. The Tweet from the Worcs WLT shows that Ripple can't be managed and similarly to advise calling the police would solve little. Unfortunately the lockdown has increased the number of adventurous dog walkers and am sure that this has had a knock on effect on breeding birds.

As I said, I love dogs....but it's the irresponsible owners who are to blame.

Jeremy did advise further on the twitter thread that he did confront the owner but was simply shrugged off.

It should be pointed out that Ripple is not a nature reserve and simply the by product of gravel extraction restoration. Management by WMBC or WWT might bring some positives were it to occur but I doubt it would happen.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back