• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rangefinding binoculars anyone using them? (1 Viewer)

Oblique

I’m relatively new to birding and I have a standard pair of binoculars. It seems rangefinding binoculars are popular with hunters for ballistic calculations etc. However I wondered if there was any uptake in the birding world. I like the idea of them just for the sheer curiosity to know how far things are from my viewpoint. They do often cost a bunch more though. Anyone using them?

Almost no one. While I'm in the early stages of shopping some for another hobby, most birders seem to concur that they serve no purpose in birding (although I totally understand sheer curiosity of ranging items). I also use binocs for several hobbies and general viewing.

Older ones were not well regarding because of the reticle cluttering the image, and newer (laser) ones are just not considered to serve a purpose with the extra cost/weight (and in some cases the very slight loss of light due to the rangefinder construction, even if in only one tube.)

David's succinct response is spot on!
And although I wrote a recent post to address the notion that RF binoculars are only of use to shooters and hunters: https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3892295&postcount=26
clearly shooters and hunters are the primary intended recreational users

For a birder who wants binoculars that are either the very best, or the best at a chosen price point, money is much better spent on glass rather than electronics

John

I have a pair of the Leica's, but they are too heavy for hunting. They are great glass and I do use them when I don't have to carry them.

Thanks David - your response captures what I had expected. John, interesting post, thanks for the reference. It may be best to continue to just estimate ranges :).

It may be best to continue to just estimate ranges :).

If its for census work, like transects or point counts it doesn't take long to get used to 25 or 50 metres etc in various habitat structures. Its surprising how accurate one can get after some practice :t:

When trying out a pair of friend's Vortex Fury rangefinders he asked me to guess how far away some trees were away in the distance. I assessed it for a quick minute and said 150m i'd say. Checked through the range finders and it was 149.9m!

Definitely an element of luck with it being near a nice round number. However, I was fully happy to be smug afterwards :)

That was a good guess-timate!

I'm usually terrible. I was in the National Guard here (still US Army basic training) and did 30+ years in law enforcement. We (Americans) are usually taught to estimate by football fields (100 yards.) That's a good technique but can still be hard for some, especially if you're not looking over almost flat ground which is rare here anyway (runways and football fields are about it :eek!: in western NC). I have a "decent" laser rangefinder but have been considering those Furys. Sure I'd like the Zeiss or Leicas but no way I can justify it, even though my primary birding bin is a Leica (which I saved for for almost a year, and still ended up getting a certified used pair for $600 off MSRP of the new ones).

I ranged a utility pole on my neighbor's property when I got my rangefinder and estimated 150 yards. It was 84 yards :-C . It was uphill but I still wasn't close.

I guarantee you will miss yardages way more often than you'll get them right, especially the further out you go. The new Sig Kilo3000BDX has the best rangefinder of them all, including alphas, by far. Glass is pretty average, but you still won't miss anything. My Geovid wouldn't range past 250-300 yds when the temps got to near 32* and less.

Yes definitely agree that it was a one time guess that I was lucky with! Very much doubt my ability to consistently repeat it.

I believe those sig kilos are made in the same factory as the vortex. They seem very similar and both the fury and kilo now claim a max 5000 yds on reflective targets. The sig provide built in ballastics which the fury’s do not. So no real use for birding. I had also been looking at some geovids but only because the 2200 models now have some good discounts but still a good £600 more!

I often use telescopes with known exact fields and U.K. house bricks to work out distances to perhaps 10% accuracy. With care a bit better.
This costs nothing if one already has the scope.

I am pretty good at aircraft heights by eye.

Reticle binoculars also may have 10% accuracy. Using buildings, buses etc.

Triangulation using a scope can be very accurate if one uses an exact baseline, say 1m or 2m.

Even long camera lenses can give good distances just reading off the scale on the lens.
Again this costs nothing if one has the lens.

I used to measure accurate aircraft distances using a filar micrometer eyepiece on a long focus refractor.
Also heights by using a protractor.

B.

Rangefinding binoculars, which incorporate laser rangefinders to measure distances to objects, are indeed more commonly associated with hunting and outdoor activities where knowing precise distances is crucial for accuracy. However, there is some interest in using them for birding, especially among enthusiasts who want to accurately gauge the distance to birds or other wildlife.

Here are a few considerations for using rangefinding binoculars for birding:
  1. Distance Measurement: Rangefinding binoculars can provide precise distance measurements to birds or other objects, which can be useful for understanding bird behavior, habitat preferences, or simply satisfying curiosity.
  2. Cost: Rangefinding binoculars tend to be more expensive than standard binoculars due to the additional technology involved. This cost may deter some birders, especially those who prioritize other features over distance measurement.
  3. Additional Features: In addition to rangefinding capabilities, many rangefinding binoculars offer other advanced features such as angle compensation, ballistic calculations, and advanced targeting modes. These features may be of interest to some birders but may not be necessary for casual birdwatching.
  4. Weight and Size: Rangefinding binoculars may be bulkier and heavier than standard binoculars due to the integration of rangefinding technology. Birders who prioritize portability and comfort during long outings may find this aspect less desirable.

Rangefinding binoculars, which incorporate laser rangefinders to measure distances to objects, are indeed more commonly associated with hunting and outdoor activities where knowing precise distances is crucial for accuracy. However, there is some interest in using them for birding, especially among enthusiasts who want to accurately gauge the distance to birds or other wildlife.

Here are a few considerations for using rangefinding binoculars for birding:
  1. Distance Measurement: Rangefinding binoculars can provide precise distance measurements to birds or other objects, which can be useful for understanding bird behavior, habitat preferences, or simply satisfying curiosity.
  2. Cost: Rangefinding binoculars tend to be more expensive than standard binoculars due to the additional technology involved. This cost may deter some birders, especially those who prioritize other features over distance measurement.
  3. Additional Features: In addition to rangefinding capabilities, many rangefinding binoculars offer other advanced features such as angle compensation, ballistic calculations, and advanced targeting modes. These features may be of interest to some birders but may not be necessary for casual birdwatching.
  4. Weight and Size: Rangefinding binoculars may be bulkier and heavier than standard binoculars due to the integration of rangefinding technology. Birders who prioritize portability and comfort during long outings may find this aspect less desirable.

Good info!

Or get a decent binocular and thermal scope for distance measurement. At least the TS could be used at night time for nocturnal wildlife hehehe. Or I might be wrong too...

We have investigated two different 8x32 rangefinders:
-1- the Leica Geovid Pro 8x32 and
-2- the GPO 8x32 rangefinder.
Both reports can be found on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor.
The GPO rangefinder is because of the shape of its body also very well useful as a binocular for general use, since it is not so heavy and bulky and it is available at considerable lower price as the Leica 8x32.
You can find our impressions and test data on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor .
Gijs van Ginkel

We have investigated two different 8x32 rangefinders:
-1- the Leica Geovid Pro 8x32 and
-2- the GPO 8x32 rangefinder.
Both reports can be found on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor.
The GPO rangefinder is because of the shape of its body also very well useful as a binocular for general use, since it is not so heavy and bulky and it is available at considerable lower price as the Leica 8x32.
You can find our impressions and test data on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor .
Gijs van Ginkel
Looked on your site for the GPO review, couldn't find it. What are your thoughts?

jgraider, post 16,
The title of the test report of, among others the GPO RANGEGUIDE 8X32 and the Leica Geovid Pro 8x32 is:
"The new compact Zeiss SFL 8x30 and 10x30 and other compact binoculars by GPO, Vortex and Swarovski" by Dr. Gijs van Ginkel. It is from May 15, 2023 and published on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor under the topic : "Verrekijkers testen en vergelijken".
I hope that this helps.
Gijs van Ginkel

In case you still can not find the report:
GPO Rangeguide 8x32:
Weight 721 g, eyerelief 16 mm, FOV 135m/1000m, close focus 7,5 m, transmission spectra are also published for left and right hand tube, price 996 euros.

Leica Geovid Pro 8x32:
Weight 827 g, eyerelief 16 mm, FOV 135m/1000m, close focus 4,5m, transmission spectra are also published for left and right hand tube, price 2995 euro.

Handling is slightly different and I like handling of the GPO better ,since the open hing of the Leica has a rather small opening and the tubes have a larger diameter as that of the GPO, but you can see and read that in the report.
Both rangefinders work well, the measured distances in red numbers are wel readable (color blind users who can not observe red colors may have problems).
I hope that this helps.
Gijs van Ginkel

I'm surprised these aren't marketed for golf. I never play golf but if I did the combination of rangefinding and being able to views birds on the course would be a winner! Rangefinding would be good for coastal navigation in a boat too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back