• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tree Sparrows (1 Viewer)

Frosty

Just a quick question. I am still a real novice, and happened to see the Bill Oddie's programme on Beeb 2 this afternoon. He mentioned that tree sparrows are now quite rare, and that the only place that you are guaranteed to see them is the Rutland Water Reserve??? I have 6-10 that visit my garden on a daily basis - should I be doing anything to encourage more? eg. any particular type of seed - provide special nest boxes etc??

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Gary

Attachments

• Treesparrow1.jpg
    Treesparrow1.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 107
  • tree sparrow.jpg
    tree sparrow.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 154
  • tree sparrow1.jpg
    tree sparrow1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 139
We have a small breeding population of them locally. I think Bill was meaning that at Rutland you are just about guaranteed to see a decent number of them. I can certainly find them on every outing though the numbers easily seen do vary.

If you have them in the garden throughout the year then a few nestboxes (they are social birds liking a few close by) and mixed seed feeding should help them even more.

It seems to me you are already doing okay as regards providing food - I have a flock of about 50 here and they flock onto all the feeders with equal gutso. They like the seed feeders as in your photos, but also like to hang on the nut feeders and adore sunflower hearts.
Seem they are a bit fussy as regards nestboxes, they have never used any in my garden despite about 12 being available. I know however that some reserves in the UK do okay with nestboxes and I think they like loose colonies of boxes, though are a bit hit and miss, with colonies seemingly dwindling for no apparant reason, only to re-establish nearby.
I think they like a slightly larger than average nestbox, with a 28 mm (?) hole - if nobody has corrected me on this , I will confirm this last info for you tomorrow (I have a BTO box which offers advice for individual species and has the details for Tree Sparrow)

Hi Gary, as Jason said you are very lucky. Their normal diet is insects & weed seed, so any good seed mix will keep them going you could also try some millet spray, the type you buy in pet shops they love it. As for nest boxes, try the same ones you use for house sparrows, good luck bert.

Nesting Tree Sparrows

Jos Stratford said:
It seems to me you are already doing okay as regards providing food - I have a flock of about 50 here and they flock onto all the feeders with equal gutso. They like the seed feeders as in your photos, but also like to hang on the nut feeders and adore sunflower hearts.
Seem they are a bit fussy as regards nestboxes, they have never used any in my garden despite about 12 being available. I know however that some reserves in the UK do okay with nestboxes and I think they like loose colonies of boxes, though are a bit hit and miss, with colonies seemingly dwindling for no apparant reason, only to re-establish nearby.
I think they like a slightly larger than average nestbox, with a 28 mm (?) hole - if nobody has corrected me on this , I will confirm this last info for you tomorrow (I have a BTO box which offers advice for individual species and has the details for Tree Sparrow)

I have had them nest in a "standard" Tit nest box here in my garden in Haute-Savoie France. It seems that they only nest if they have been using the box as a winter shelter, this seems to result in the Great Tits not taking over the box!

Nevertheless numbers in my garden at the winter feeders vary tremendously from year to year although I can always find them in the general area.

I saw a group of about 50 yesterday...

Mike

bittern said:
I have had them nest in a "standard" Tit nest box here in my garden in Haute-Savoie France. It seems that they only nest if they have been using the box as a winter shelter, this seems to result in the Great Tits not taking over the box!

Haven't quite fathomed why they don't roost (or nest) in any of the boxes in my garden - plenty on offer, standard Tit boxes and slightly larger. The flock tends to feed from dawn to dusk in the garden throughout the year, then zooms off a few hundred metres to roost down in a little valley! Must be something nice down there which appeals to them, but can't see what it is

Like the last few posts I have about 20-30 vist my garden each day, and they eat mainly the seed, sunflower hearts and a bit of bread now and again. But the seeder is going down more quickly now than in the summer now as alot of their natural supply of food has gone down, and I like to do my bit to keep these birds going. It's a shame that their numbers are dropping because they are sweet little birds.

Another place where you're guaranteed to see Tree Sparrows in good numbers is at the Big Waters feeding station, just north of Newcastle. Bill's obviously not been there yet!

Frosty said:
Just a quick question. I am still a real novice, and happened to see the Bill Oddie's programme on Beeb 2 this afternoon. He mentioned that tree sparrows are now quite rare, and that the only place that you are guaranteed to see them is the Rutland Water Reserve??? I have 6-10 that visit my garden on a daily basis - should I be doing anything to encourage more? eg. any particular type of seed - provide special nest boxes etc??

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Hello gary

I was fortunate enough to listen to a lecture on Tree Sparrow survival which was given after a 5 year study of the said bird.
The study involved
1- Supplementary feeding
2- Provision of Nesting sites
3- Study of food given to young in the nest.
4- Distance noted for foraging for food and nest sights.

I would say that you are doing good already with the food supplied in copious amounts. The food used in the study was high energy mix, or in the main Sunflower hearts

The nest boxes the study used were put up trees at a regular nest box height but the terrace was not used as with the House Sparrows. Thay used single Tit boxes with 28-32mm hole size which were located loosely in groups.

The main points of interest were the young birds as it seemed the young were not getting to adult stage due to lack of food, namely insects. A good idea to help the young in your garden would be possibly, if funds permit, to supply mealworm at breeding season. Another way would be to plant plants which have a great insect population associated with them. A good interesting route is gardening for wildlife.

The other point noted was that the birds were pretty sedentary and pairs built long lasting, even life pairs.

http://www.rutlandwater.u-net.com/rw/RW_Tresp.htm

Have a look at the info on this site if you have the time quite interesting.

I have to say you are very lucky in having these birds in your garden I think most would be envious. Good luck and hopfully the colony will expand with your help.

Last edited:
Up here in the north of scotland (easter-ross) i've seen up to 30 tree sparrows.
They have been using nest boxes for at least three years.

Theres another colony about the same size about ten miles up the road.

The tree sparrow population in the UK has been on the decline since the mid 70s but there are still breeding colonys of tree sparrows scattered across the UK.
I think they are a much nicer species than the house sparrow.

James

Last edited:
I went to Summer Leys NR (a fairly new reserve) a few weeks back and they have a pretty healthy population of tree sparrows (i'm told 300-500 hundred birds), in the winter they flock to the feeders (which a few locals started, now i think the council pay for the seed), feeders i think are filled every day of the week :) Keep up the good work boys!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back