• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northwestern PA birds (1 Viewer)

BrandonH

Hello
I have been walking the river here on mild days seeing alot o migrating ducks here I have a few more ducks for ids and a raven/crow

1 & 2 i think are scaups
3 i am going with common raven
4 might be bufflehead
5 has redheads and WW scoters but the 2 ducks on the left side below the redhead i can't id

Attachments

• DSCN8441.JPG
    DSCN8441.JPG
    234.5 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCN8444.JPG
    DSCN8444.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCN8446.JPG
    DSCN8446.JPG
    226 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCN8448.JPG
    DSCN8448.JPG
    159.2 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCN8452 (2).JPG
    DSCN8452 (2).JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 77
1. Agree, scaups.

2. Three scaups + ? I can't see the fourth object well enough to be sure it's a bird. White-winged scoter with one wing half up?

3. Agree, raven. I think I can see a sudden change in the curvature of the beak ("Roman nose")

4. Foreground bird could be a bufflehead with its head turned away. Smew would be unlikely. Background bird looks a bit like a nonbreeding male ruddy duck, though I'm worried by what seems to be a dark mark at the base of the bill. On second thought, I think it's more likely a female bufflehead.

5. The ducks at middle distance, left are scaups.

Last edited:
Think scaup species in photos 1 & 2 is lesser - they seem to show a distinct "peak" to the crown behind the eye. Agree that both bird in photo 4 are Buffleheads - Ruddy would show the tail sticking up.

I think the unknown bird in 2 is a female Scaup. The white is too extensive for WW Scoter. I'm also not really convinced 3 is a raven, seems pretty small billed to me

Thanks , unfortunately do not have another photo of unknown bird in pic 2 but i have a couple more pics of crow/raven that might help

Attachments

• DSCN8447.JPG
    DSCN8447.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN8445.JPG
    DSCN8445.JPG
    290.3 KB · Views: 45
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back