• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new from south of the pyrenees; help with binoculars (1 Viewer)

mhiebl

Hi all!

I found this site while looking for recommendations on buying binos - looking for something in the 150 to 200 € range, though for exceptional quality of optical performance and fog-proofing could reach to 250€.

Looking now at

Pentax SP 8X40 WP
Olympus 8X42 EXPS I
Nikon Action EX 8X40 CF
FOREST II 8X42 - DELTA OPTICAL

Hope I find some expert advice here!

Cheers

Hi mhiebl and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the Binocular forum, where I think you'll get the help you need. I also subscribed you to the thread so you will be able to find it easily - you will be advised of any posts that come in.

Meanwhile I hope you enjoy your time here with us.

Hi,

first of all, welcome to birdforum!

Of the bins mentioned, I would choose the Action EX as it has a good field of view without too many compromises, unlike the three others (the Delta one has a very wide field specified but it is significantly narrower in reality - see https://www.allbinos.com/239-binoculars_review-Delta_Optical_Forest_II_8x42.html).

Considering the limited budget it could be a good idea to also consider options in 8x32 (these are often the cheapest model in their respective product line) and maybe buying used.

Also it would help to know if you have to wear glasses while using the bins - if yes, eye relief is a significant factor (all the models you mentioned have quite generous ER, but some others don't and might not be suitable with glasses).

Joachim

mhiebl, welcome to the forum, benvingut! :)

Since you are in a large city like Barcelona, I would definitely consider second hand. 200 € can get you a fine pair of brand new binoculars... but it can get you some seriously good second hand. I'm sure there is a good and large enough pool of 2nd hand binoculars within your range, that you can go and touch, try for yourself (something you could not do living in the countryside), so I'd take advantage of your situation. You can search in milanuncios, wallapop and the like.

I have not tried exactly the formats you mention, but in other parameters I have owned both the Pentax SP WP (it was a 10x50) and I own the Nikon Action EX (7x35). I got both second hand for less than 100 € each and I think they are very nice pieces of equipment, with a performance way above their price (and I don't mean the 80-90 € I paid for them, even at 150-200 €).

Pentax: The build quality of the Pentax SP WP was veeery nice, it reminded me of the Zeiss Conquest HD, not much behind honestly (I'm talking about the feel of the rubber armour and general feel of the binoculars in your hands). But the field of view was quite narrow, only 5º for a 10x, that was the reason I sold it. Otherwise, they were quite bright and the view was sweet.

Nikon: The Nikon Action EX was a big surprise for me; I didn't expect much, and I really like it. It is a 7x with 9,3º FOV, which feels so nice. Obviously a big part of that field is not really usable, but the nice feeling of 7x (great depth of field, really inmersive) plus the 3D effect provided for the porro really make them something to take into account. But, there is always a but: they are quite clunky and heavy. And not only that; I find them pretty large for my hands; I'm 1,78 with accordingly average hands and depending on the position of my hands, sometimes I find it a bit hard to reach the focus wheel (obviously, forget about "single-hand" them; at least in my case). I tried the Aculon 7x35, which is newer and supposed to have some improvements in the optics... but I found it to be way inferior, both in optical performance and in fit and finish.

So, SP and EX, both fine, but both pretty hefty and clunky; which might be of consideration depending on your needs: do you plan to do some trekking/walking with them, or will you be stationary or drive by car? I don't know the kind of birdwatching you plan to do, but honestly in Barcelona it's usually quite sunny ;) ... so maybe you should consider a 8x32 as someone mentioned already. You could find really nice things for 200-250 € in that format, especially if you go 2nd hand.
Hope that helps :)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back