• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommendation in 8x30-35? (1 Viewer)

Marc: if you are considering the Meopta, there is a pair of 8x32 in the cassifieds for $415. At that price you can’t lose. Perhaps you’ll love them as others here do or they will make a fine pair of backup, loaners, or car binoculars. These are Cabela’s branded but the exact same as the Meopta model.

Would depend if you're planning to go out much in the rain though....otherwise, one of the best of the small chaps

It wouldn't be in a downpour, but maybe a light drizzle or light dampness from marine layer. I've been looking at the 8x30 E2, I see people are starting to like it more in the 100th anniversary edition, supposedly brighter, but that gets into a chunk of change compared to an import or used E2.

As a new amateur owner of the Kowa Genesis 8x33 here are my thoughts:

I would rather have CPO UHD+ 8x32. I have compared the models head to head for about 30 minutes, but it only took me about 30 seconds to make up my mind. I can't speak to the Zeiss.

My experience is that the Kowa are only competitive in the mid to high tier when it comes to long range use... the kind of situations that most would prefer 10x. I've never used a spotting scope, but I can see why Kowa is so popular in that field. It's close enough to be debatable, but I think the Kowa slightly edges the Leica in this metric only. However, there are a couple of serious issues when using them at less than ∞ that are disappointing.

1. The strong CA control that everyone raves about is true. Why is this bad? The slight softening that other bins get from mild CA leads to a wider apparent DOF. It is really tough to quickly get items in sharp focus. I find myself needing to fine tune focus with even small differences that are relatively far away.

2. The small sweet spot that everyone else complains about is prohibitively small. The sweet spot is as sharp as anything else but it drops off so quickly and the blurring is extreme. It doesn't seem to affect me with long distance viewing but is very frustrating with close to mid range. To my eyes the sharpness is significantly worse than even the $100-200 budget options outside the center 30%.

3. The Genesis feels closer in size and weight to 8x42 binoculars. The 8x32 Leica feels significantly smaller and lighter than the 8x33 Genesis. Based on listed weight specs I didn't expect the Genesis to feel so porky. I've never handled the Zeiss HT but you might find you don't feel like the Genesis is any smaller when in hand or hanging from your neck.

Another observation that's not necessarily bad... comparing to various 8x and 10x binos my impression is that the Genesis 8x33 is closer to 8.5 or 9x.

Contrast, brightness, and exit pupil are great even at night.

As a new amateur owner of the Kowa Genesis 8x33 here are my thoughts:

I would rather have CPO UHD+ 8x32. I have compared the models head to head for about 30 minutes, but it only took me about 30 seconds to make up my mind. I can't speak to the Zeiss.

Thank you! That was very helpful.

I've decided to make the 8x32 buying an adventure. I'm trying out a bunch of $400 or less binos this week (hurray for return policies!), then I'll try some in the $1000 or less range, then finish with the $1500 or less range. I'll post my non-super-technical thoughts as they come in.

But I think the CPO UVHD+ will be it for me, as I'm very happy with UVBR 8x20s.

Marc

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back