• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Choosing top-of-the-range scope (1 Viewer)

scampo said:
A fine, balanced analysis and explanation, Jay - what complicates matters further is the idiosyncratic ways in which we choose items that are very expensive - and what influences come to bear on the decision making process.
<snip>
I suggested this was plain daft as I have looked through these scopes alongside my Nikon ED82 and the differences just are not objectively sufficient to choose one above the others. Needless to say I was rebuffed. A kind of madness borne of our affluence, I suppose.

Thanks. I'm inclined to agree with you but I'd hold out a little bit on the possibility that there are very real differences in the way we see and possibly moreso in the way our brains interpret what we see. I remember recently someone mentioning how much clearer a particular digiscoping result was compared to another. But a simple change in color balance suddenly made them appear sharper. The significant color cast lead the person to perceive a lack of sharpness.

OTOH, I know from personal experience how we adapt ourselves to our perceptions. I've read true blind tests where high end audio equipment cannot be differentiated from mid-level mass market items except by a very few and then usually only by listening to very unmusical test tones.

It would be interesting to try to try to design such a "blind" scope test.

A blind test (what a lovely metaphor, here!)?

It seems odd, on the surface, that no magazine does such a thing as it cannot be beyond their ability. But, on reflection, I don't think they have any need as they operate to suit their market - and a rather affluent, idiosyncratic and untechnical market it probably is, in the main (interestingly, not reflected within BF).

An objective and technical review would appeal only to the minority, these days, I suspect and - from a marketing view - would be a waste of time and money.

I have seen photo magazines go the same way over the years, and the reasons are surely the same. As a youngster and a keen photographer, I was fascinated by objective tests; yet, my own two sons, both far better educated and more knowledgable in many ways than I was at their ages, have no interest in such things; and their friends are the same.

Such information seems to have become a thing of the past for the majority - a quirkiness that hangs only in a few. And now to a paradox: an almost perverse fascination seems to exist with arcane technical details at the point of sale: car and electronic manufacturers love to use techno-speak, especially acronyms and abbreviations, for example, RAM, rpm, Mb, Mp, LCD, vario, and so on. Such terms impress would-be customers, it seems, and help them decide on which products to purchases. Yet few either know or care what the terms trul;y mean.

Odd indeed.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back