• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ED or non-ED (1 Viewer)

DHB

As an update I have found an ED version of the Minox MD62mm scope but is not nearly as reasonable. The ED version is $160 usd more or about 30%. For normal use not digiscoping will the non-ed work ok considering it is less than $400 usd.
Thanks again.
Dave

Andy Bright said:
Hi Dave, it will be fine for regular use, don't worry about it too much.

Well, I disagree. The difference in image quality is always there, even at low magnifications - ED/Apo/whatever scopes always have a cleaner, more detailed and more contrasty image than their conventional counterparts. This is true for the Nikon scopes, the Leicas and the Svarowskis, and also for the Minox. I never used a Minox in the field, but I've been looking through them at a trade fair over here, and I found the difference was quite obvious.

Hermann

I think I've read a test of it somewhere and it wasn't bad at all, if not quite up there with the likes of Zeiss, Nikon and Swaro. If you are interested PM me and I'll see if I still have a copy of the review.

Hi DBH
You have got to go for the best glass that you can afford, every time. If you dont, you will regret it when you see the results that others obtain.

Hermann said:
Well, I disagree. The difference in image quality is always there, even at low magnifications - ED/Apo/whatever scopes always have a cleaner, more detailed and more contrasty image than their conventional counterparts. This is true for the Nikon scopes, the Leicas and the Svarowskis, and also for the Minox. I never used a Minox in the field, but I've been looking through them at a trade fair over here, and I found the difference was quite obvious.

Hermann
Of course there is a difference, I just don't think that a birder on a limited budget should be that concerned that lack of ed/apo/hd/flourite will be a real problem in general birding use.... because it isn't.
Andy

DHB said:
So Hermann what's your opinion of the Minox?

Well, it's not that easy to give an opinion based on looking through a scope for half an hour at a trade fair, especially as I didn't have any reference scope to compare it to. However, at the time I felt the Minox was quite nice. Certainly not in the same class as the Nikon ED III, the small Leica or the Zeiss 65mm, but the image quality was pretty good and the scope seemd well-made, an important consideration because scopes almost invariably take a few knocks here and there.

I s remember that I didn't like the zoom eyepiece very much. The optical quality wasn't bad, but I found it somewhat uncomfortable to use. With that scope I'd definitely get one of the wideangle eyepieces as well.

Hermann

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back