• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Low priced digiscoping (1 Viewer)

erizzo said:
So what yor're telling me is that its better to get the televid 77 for digiscoping than the 62m??

That's right Erizzo.

Fortunately there's very little difference in price. The only downside is that the 77 is much heavier, but. Put together with the 4500 you'll have the perfect digiscoping combination (I use the 995 and Leica 77APO). The only drawback you might have is obtaining a 4500 as they are now discontinued, though I gather that Nikon have something new planned.

Mark

erizzo said:
So what yor're telling me is that its better to get the televid 77 for digiscoping than the 62m??
Bill said it so well! Although the APO62 is not particulary low-priced model, it has its restrictions due to the small objective. Actually the "problem" with the small Leica is not necessarily the brightness - it has the same exit pupil as the larger APO77 - but the magnification and the field of view. The best results in digiscoping are usually achieved with smallest magnifications and 15x of the zoom may or may not be enough for you. If you crank up more magnification, you lose both brightness and eye relief - which narrows the usable field of view. IMO the APO62 may be great for photography-oriented digiscoping (=if you are willing to get a little closer to the object) - but if you use the scope mainly for birdwatching, the larger ones have slightly more reach and brightness. Confused? - I don't blame you... ;)

Ilkka

erizzo said:
Hello Erizzo

Looking at the galleries here, some photographers seem to have used smaller scopes successfully for digiscoping, but I know of others who have then changed to a larger scope because of, theyu say, the improvement in shutter speed and resolution the larger objective provides. My own experience with the Swaro 65 and the Zeiss 85 suggests just such an improvement, although I am still very much a beginner.

Its the Apo-Televid you need, not the Televid, btw.

Last edited:
Bill Atwood said:
Doesn't mean you cant do it with something less, but the results won't be as good, or it will be significantly more difficult to get good results.

For digiscoping, this is simply not true. As I stated earlier and have demonstrated through multiple examples and a lot of experience, you can achieve equivalent digiscoping results with modestly priced catadioptrics. Using them is no more difficult than using a conventional birding scope. Though as I said previously, a top end modern scope is superior for most visual use.

If the comment was intended only for refractors, then I'd agree with it.

erizzo said:

All things being equal, the large objective will deliver more resolution and somewhat better "sharpness" when operating below its resolution limits. This means the scope has a bit more reach when digiscoping as well.

It should also be brighter by around a half a stop. The "speed" is not a huge issue unless you digiscope where it is usually overcast. Then every little bit helps.

I would base my decision on weight, your typical conditions and price. I know people that moved from an 80 to a 65 primarily so it would be easier to take more places. With some of the newer scopes, even the 80s can be pretty small.

Jay Turberville said:
For digiscoping, this is simply not true. As I stated earlier and have demonstrated through multiple examples and a lot of experience, you can achieve equivalent digiscoping results with modestly priced catadioptrics. Using them is no more difficult than using a conventional birding scope. Though as I said previously, a top end modern scope is superior for most visual use.

If the comment was intended only for refractors, then I'd agree with it.

Yeah, I was talking about refractors. What modestly priced cats are you referring to and about what do they go for? Maybe you can get Erik further down the right direction.

I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO.
But I'm young and have lots of energy so maybe I'll go with the 77 and if I dont like it, it will be easier to buy the 62 because its cheaper.
Hopefully I could get one on ebay a lot cheaper. But I dont know if its good that way.
I also think I'll get an angel one because from what Ive seen on the forum it looks like most people like that one better or have straight first and then change to the angel.
Too bad the preice changes.
I guess I'll have to wait to get something worth it.

Thanx very mush for all the posts of everybody. I'm a bit less confused now.

erizzo said:
I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO.
But I'm young and have lots of energy so maybe I'll go with the 77 and if I dont like it, it will be easier to buy the 62 because its cheaper.
Hopefully I could get one on ebay a lot cheaper. But I dont know if its good that way.
I also think I'll get an angel one because from what Ive seen on the forum it looks like most people like that one better or have straight first and then change to the angel.
Too bad the preice changes.
I guess I'll have to wait to get something worth it.

Thanx very mush for all the posts of everybody. I'm a bit less confused now.

Erik,
Don't worry - it is not that difficult after all. Here is my 1-2-3 ;)
1. Try the different scopes of different sizes, angled and straight everywhere you can. Ask fellow birders what they like theirs - usually they are happy to tell about their equipment if they are not just busy finding a lifer.
2. You know your birding habits best. Try to decide how seriously you plan to do digiscoping and how much you need eg. portability - don't listen to the others on that.
3. Buy APO/FL/ED/HD if you can!

I think you can pick just about any fluorite/ED-model from Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, Nikon or Kowa that you can afford - and be very happy with it. And if you are not, you don't lose THAT much when you sell it to someone. The top scopes preserve their value very well.

Worth mentioning could be that there have been rumors on this forum about a lighter Leica 77/80 scope. If you are not in hurry, that could be your "ultimate" digiscope - or it could reduce the price of the current fine but heavy APO77.

Good luck,

Ilkka

Thanxz

iporali said:
Erik,
Don't worry - it is not that difficult after all. Here is my 1-2-3 ;)
1. Try the different scopes of different sizes, angled and straight everywhere you can. Ask fellow birders what they like theirs - usually they are happy to tell about their equipment if they are not just busy finding a lifer.
2. You know your birding habits best. Try to decide how seriously you plan to do digiscoping and how much you need eg. portability - don't listen to the others on that.
3. Buy APO/FL/ED/HD if you can!

I think you can pick just about any fluorite/ED-model from Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, Nikon or Kowa that you can afford - and be very happy with it. And if you are not, you don't lose THAT much when you sell it to someone. The top scopes preserve their value very well.

Worth mentioning could be that there have been rumors on this forum about a lighter Leica 77/80 scope. If you are not in hurry, that could be your "ultimate" digiscope - or it could reduce the price of the current fine but heavy APO77.

Good luck,

Ilkka

Thanxs for your reply but I'm sorry to say that in Chile there isn't almost any birders. I only have heard of a few. And they wount have all the fancy scopes.
But if I can when I 'm up in the US I may be able to ba around some birders.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back