• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New scope and tripod from scratch (1 Viewer)

pduxon said:
Got to say I don't believe your weights!! My little Midget 2 weighs about 450grams or 16 ounces!!

Yeah Pete n Steve
sounds light doesn't it. I got it of a spec on the internet. I realy ought to go and weigh mine.....they are plastic remember but it can't be right can it?

Still about half the weight of a typical scope! BTW, when you get on the scales does it read something like 6 or 7 stones, I wonder!

(-:

Oi!

I do keep myself fit with copious amounts of football but seven stones I aint Steve
I did measure it precisely with old fashioned balance scales so it should be close to correct......

Sorry, Tim - no offence intended at all, I'm sure you're a strapping lad! I was referring to the 12oz. weight for the Kowa you gave. I thought maybe your scales were not working too well... Meant it to be flippant, not serious!

(-:

well you have very sound advice above and we have all been in the same boat. all i can add is, do your home work and try them all is you like.
myself i went for the Swarovski ATA 80 HD with 20-6- zoom. Swar stay on case becasue the Skau are crap for that scope, manfr tripod and filter on the front objective which will protect the lens etc. i am very, well just say over the moon!!!!
fantastic setup & would not change a thing. not heavey like some i have seen & stable enough for all my needs. if anyone is daft enough to leave a scope setup in a gale & it blows down more fool them, heavy is not the best just makes it more draining as the day goes on.
go for the best you can afford or leave it until you can afford dont just rush at a cheap one & regrete it.
i am now set for life.

good luck

This is yet another interesting thread, and I know my comment will be off of Malcolm's topic, but since the topic of a shoulder-mount scope was raised, I'll mention the set up I have, for what it's worth.

When I know I'm going to use a scope intermittently, or a great distance from the car, I carry a Nikon Sky and Earth 60mm (I believe they're also called RAII) with a 20x eyepiece. The scope is mounted on a BushHawk shoulder pod, and I can sling the whole kit over my shoulder or strap it to a back pack.

The 20X eyepiece yields a pretty nice view, and with practice, I can hold it quite steady. It works nicely for hawk watching. It also travels nicely - it will go with me to Arizona in May, even thought the security inspectors at the airport do look a bit askance at it!

The whole set-up cost me just under $300 US. The big Nikon travels with me more and more, now that I lug it around on a Tri-pack, but for real light-weight travel the little scope and a shoulder pod can't be beat. It's also nice to have a back-up or second scope when I'm leading bird trips here in Maryland - I can loan it to the "telescopically-disadvantage!"

Scott Crabtree

"help the telescopically disadvantaged..."

And doesn't it just thrill those that are, Scott? We must help sell more scopes than any advertising campaign!

Scott I have a setup similar to yours plus the digiscoing attachments for a coolpix 4500. As you say it is an ideal lightweight go anywhere outfit.

Hi Wizard,

Any standard 82mm uv filter will work right ?
What make/model did you get. I assume it needs to be decent quality to match the scope.

Thanks,

Fiacha

Last edited:
fiacha said:
Hi Wizard,

Any standard 82mm uv filter will work right ?
What make/model did you get. I assume it needs to be decent quality to match the scope.

Interesting point that. Does anyone have any experience of adding a filter to a top-of-the-range scope? The attractions of protecting your expensive objective lens are obvious, but does it make anything other than a theoretical difference to the quality of the view?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it certainly is unlikely to improve the view because it's an extra medium through which the light has to travel; but it might help cut through haze as most plain filters are U/V and have a slight pinkish tint. A good filter should be fine, though, I would say.

There was a thread about this a while back where someone had a problem with a Jessop's filter attached to a Leica ApoTelevid 77 and in the end bought a Leica filter for, I think, around £70!

My advice would be to buy from a local photo dealer and explain the use you're putting it to - I have always used Hoya SMC myself for photo use and never had any problems. Generally, I would say that Jessop's filters are highly regarded but can only deduce that their quality control is more variable than the best makes.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back