• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (1 Viewer)

20 goldfinches,10 greenfinches,2 coal tits,4 long tailed tits,and 20+house sparrows,4 collard doves,and 5 blackbirds perched in the trees.

Where have all my starlings gone? Up until Tuesday I had, too many to count, juveniles on my feeders and in the bird bath and they came and went throughout the day. Since then I haven't seen sight nor sound of them - can't even hear them chattering in the pine tree. There's nothing different in the feeders other than a few grapes I put out - surely they can't be protesting at the addition in the menu!
There is a sparrow hawk around but it doesn't seem to have put the house sparrows or robins off coming into the garden,could the starlings have moved on because of him? I hope not as they were a constant source of amusement, squabbling with each other.

Where have all my starlings gone? Up until Tuesday I had, too many to count, juveniles on my feeders and in the bird bath and they came and went throughout the day. Since then I haven't seen sight nor sound of them - can't even hear them chattering in the pine tree. There's nothing different in the feeders other than a few grapes I put out - surely they can't be protesting at the addition in the menu!
There is a sparrow hawk around but it doesn't seem to have put the house sparrows or robins off coming into the garden,could the starlings have moved on because of him? I hope not as they were a constant source of amusement, squabbling with each other.

In late summer/early autumn the large flocks of Starlings often move around as the adults show the youngsters all the best feeding spots. Its unlikely a Sparrowhawk would keep the Starlings away but not the Sparrows.

CB

Every summer all of the Starlings disappear here. We have up to 30 in mid-June, incl juveniles, but then they suddenly disappear, only to return early September. If we didn't get freshly fledged juveniles being fed by their parents, then I would say they go away to breed, but that's definitely not happening. Very strange, but at least it gives the other juvenile species a chance to get some food.

Today - Garden Mega - 2 Ravens flew over consistuting the first garden record. Also 4 Jays, Blackcap, Nuthatch, Goldcrest, c25 Goldfinches, Pheasant and the first reed Bunting for some time. Not a bad days garden birding.

CB

Today - Garden Mega - 2 Ravens flew over consistuting the first garden record. Also 4 Jays, Blackcap, Nuthatch, Goldcrest, c25 Goldfinches, Pheasant and the first reed Bunting for some time. Not a bad days garden birding.

CB

youve come up trumps again CB ..... great stuff indeed :t: some birds there that I am eagerly waiting the appearance of as the season fades out... namely Blackcap and Reed Bunting

I have an oak tree full of acorns, but as yet not seen the Jays that normally appear around this time.

Good Greenfinch Nos but still pretty quiet TBH

CB

Superb list for a garden.

Things very quiet here today, although c12 Goldfinches now tucking into the nijers.

CB

Wow, I don't think I could fit that many birds in my garden:t:

Thanks for the response guys. Forgot to mention - Bullfinch, Rook and 3 Song Thrushes. Mini influx of thrushes in the last couple of days. First Redwings have already appeared in Cheshire this week. Main arrival here should be first week in October, although weather forecasters are predicting temperatures into the high 20's this coming week.

CB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back