• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (2 Viewers)

I saw 2 Goldfinches in the garden today so i'm quite happy because i havn't seen any in a few weeks. Also, There were greenfinches in the garden yeterday and this morning, there were 2 dunnocks chasing each other through the fence.

Welcome to the thread Goldfinch.

Been to my parents today and totals for watching their feeders - c10 House Sparrows, Wood Pigeon, 2 Dunnocks, Blackbird, Robin, 3 Blue Tits, Great Tit and best of all a Goldfinch. This is the first in the garden for many years (all the other recent records have all been flyovers).

Dave, Have a good trip. How long are you away?

CB

Garden is getting quieter, a lot less Starlings now, max 20 (most days 10 or less) instead of the usual 30-50. Goldfinches down to 2-3, same with Redpolls and Greenfinches. Bluetits only a pair in the garden now, defending a nestbox against all comers. House Sparrow numbers are around the same as they were during the winter but we seem to be getting more Chaffinches. Only seeing the Robin and Blackbirds occasionally. Saw the Wren four days in a row a couple of weeks ago and had three Male Bramblings in the garden last Thursday |=)|

ps.
Forgot to say still have 2-3 Siskins visiting daily too.

Last edited:
Agree, sunflower hearts are a magnet for all my garden birds, especially the Goldfinches, we have at least 10 pairs. The Siskins will take the niger seed if the hearts run out.

I used Nyjer seed and they more or less ignored it, I use sunflower hearts in all of my feeders and every species loves it [especially the Goldies].

Can't understand why the bits of grass, might be a territory thing as earlier yesterday we saw BT fly to his box and a GT fly to the one further along that wall. Th bits of grass might have been to make it look scruffy to any others having a look in, It won't be breeding. Or the other thing is that it may be making a nesting cup at the bottom for comfort. Ian reckons it stays at the top as it is warmer [some heat of the camera as well]. The GT that used to night roost did vary his sleeping from top to bottom.

Garden was a bit busier today, probably due to the cold wind and wintery showers. Still got my Goldfinches, Siskins and Redpolls even though the weather has been fairly mild recently, they usually move on as soon as it warms up a bit. Had a Male Brambling stop by briefly, if he'd been just 40 mins earlier he could have stuffed himself with the Black Sunflower Seeds (scattered on the ground) they seem to love. Managed to grab a quick snapshot but it's not brilliant because it was taken through double glazing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30990364@N04/6962597123/

Surprised at how this Sparrow came out though (also through double glazing)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30990364@N04/6962598365/

I have been getting lots of starlings and most days a single Common Grackle. Today we had eight (8) Common Grackles coming into the yard for the black oil sunflower seeds!

I envy you Larry. When my Grackles stop by it's usually close to a hundred. The racket is almost unbearable.

Got a Reed Bunting gain in the garden (see rubbish picture!)
Pair of Bullfinches yesterday, a single female Siskin, and usual Blue Tits, Starlings, Sparrows etc

Attachments

• Reed Bunting - Garden 8-3-12 (2).JPG
    Reed Bunting - Garden 8-3-12 (2).JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 48

Users who are viewing this thread

Back