• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Konus Konuspot 80mm 20-60x Spotting Scope (1 Viewer)

Pluvialis

Hi all, I am new to this forum. I found it searching info about scopes, as I am planning to buy my first one.

I was wondering if anyone have heard/tried Konus Konuspot 80mm 20-60x Spotting Scope. It can be purchased for 175$ at B&H in New York. In Europe it goes for around 300 Euro.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=289759&is=REG

It has quite good parameters compare to other scopes.

158', 3degrees, 52m FOV at 20x
Exit pupil diameter 4-1.3 mm
Relative brightness 16-1.8
Twilight factor 40-69.3

There is no info about waterproofness and waranty, but for the price! If anyone is in New York it would be worth to go to B&H and try it.

Any thoughts are welcome,

Thank you,

Fero, Wildlife an Nature Photography, www.wnp.sk

It seems it's not up to much - see this recent thread:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=12879

What is your maximum budget? The Nikon lower price range are amongst the best starter scopes - and the 80mm is a good idea if you can afford it. I would say go for a fixed 30x eyepiece which is the birder's favourite - a good zoom costs a lot of money and is of dubious benefit without a top scope on the front of it.

Here is a recent thread that you might also find useful:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=13390

Last edited:
Thank you,

The reason why I was thinking about a cheap spotting scope is that I have already invested a lot into photography equipment and I know something about optics from my experience. When I start to think about quality I end-up with Swarowski or Leica scopes. There are obviously three categories of scopes:

1. Cheap ones - Konuspot, Nikon Sky&Earth, and others

2. Mid-range priced - Kowa 60mm scopes, Fujinon 60 mm scopes, EagleOptics Raven, and some others

3. Really expensive state-of-the-art scopes - Swarowski, Leica, Zeiss, etc.

This is going to be my first scope. I will not use it for digiscoping, just for general birding. Iam thinking wheater should I buy Konus/Nikon Sky&Earth 60mm, or invest twice as much and buy Kowa TSN-601 (TSN661?). It is possible that I finally end-up with Swarowski ... but for now I just need an inexpensive good scope.

Thank you, I will have a look at Raven scope

Fero

You are welcome to visit my on-line gallery of wildlife and nature photos at www.wnp.sk

I can't think that anyone who can take such superb photographs will be happy with less than a Nikon Sky and Earth - in fact, if I were you, I'd be looking at the Nikon EDIII with 30xW at the minimum; beyond that - Zeiss, Nikon, Leica or Swaro.

Thank you Scampo. You are right, I am starting to look at more expensive models. The best would be if there is an adapter for my excellent 1000 dollar Canon EF 400mm/5.6L lens. It is a very sharp lens, It has 2 UD ellements, bayonet Canon EF mount. I would pay 500 US$ for an adapter + eyepiece.

It is hard to justify another 1000 (or more) dollars for similar piece of equipment .... but than it is for life, and I know that it is not worth to buy cheap things, at the end it costs more.

Fero

I agree with Steve, wonderful photographs! If, as you say, you're not going to use the scope for digiscoping (and I can't really see why you would, from your web photos), then it seems to me that the EO Raven or EDIII will fit the bill and remain in your budget.

That being said, I believe that Steve and I both use the same scope (Zeiss 85T*FL), and just for the clarity of the optics I can't imagine now settling for anything less.

Regards

GR Triever said:
I agree with Steve, wonderful photographs! If, as you say, you're not going to use the scope for digiscoping (and I can't really see why you would, from your web photos), then it seems to me that the EO Raven or EDIII will fit the bill and remain in your budget.

That being said, I believe that Steve and I both use the same scope (Zeiss 85T*FL), and just for the clarity of the optics I can't imagine now settling for anything less.

Regards
I have recently bought a Zeiss 85 and have to agree with you. My Nikon 82 is in for repair and my son will be using that when it returns. I think so far as clarity is concerned, the Nikon and Zeiss are pretty much on a par - but where the Zeiss scores is on the amazingly wide fov of its amzing zoom eyepiece.

Konus

Fero.

Konus is a trade name of an Italian supplier of lower price/quality optical products for the mass market. Many if not all telescopes of the Konus brand are manufactured by the Chinese company Synta, (the largest mass-producer in the world).
For a low budget, Synta stuff can be OK, but quality control is non-existent. For inexpensive spotting scopes, seek out some of the Taiwanese made instruments, you will be surprised how high quality some of this stuff is. I can not help you with brand names as you are in the US and I am in the UK. Try this link, and then see if any dealers in the US carry scopes that look the same.
http://www.longperng.com.tw/products02.htm

Best regards
Chris

Fero.

Sorry, when you reach the link mentioned, click on '80mm' under 'Spotting Scopes'. Have a look at some of the other apertures, recognise any of it?

Chris

So the Raven is not good enough quality for digiscoping? I'm looking for a first scope and would like to do some digiscoping but can't afford to buy a $1500+ scope right now...

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back