• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

mull information wanted (1 Viewer)

john gardiner

I'm thinking of going up to Mull in a couple of weeks time,is it worth going there at this time of the year and if so where are the best places to go?

I've seen White-tailed Eagle overhead from the Mull ferry (Oban-Craignure), so stay on deck. Seen them other places on Mull too, but I guess the info is sensitive, so I'd best not give localities. They aren't too difficult to find, though. Plenty of Golden Eagles too, just about anywhere on high ground, and Hen Harriers are common as well.

Michael

I've not been to Mull but I know Islay well and I'd say that at this time of year in that part of the world you should see plenty. Birds of prey will certainly be in evidence with lots of young birds about and species such as Merlin on migration. You should also see Great-northern Divers in good numbers and there's likely to be a good deal of migration in evidence. I've been told that the Ross of Mull is potentially very good for migrants and (possibly) rarities, although it doesn't get watched much. With various American passerines turning up in the west at the moment you could be in a very good position for out of the ordinary. Whatever you see I think you're guaranteed great scenery and plenty of raptors. Have a good time.

I'm on my way to mull on thursday and logged on to ask the very same question. the house we are staying had a pair of g. eagles nesting in its grounds this year so i am hopfull . good job ur not there this week or next weekend as 3 days of rallying will be running on the roads around the isle that the reason im going and staying for 3 days of the week after to see the true place

I've just got back from Mull on Saturday. My species count included : Great Northern Diver, Golden Eagles, Sea Eagles, Little Grebes, Dippers, Kingfisher, 2 juvenile Brent Geese, Buzzards, Ravens, Hen Harriers, Kestrels, Sparrowhawk, Red Breasted Mergansers, Otters, Common Seals, Red Deer, Mountain Hares, Speckled Wood Butterfly.
You may wish to book an organised wildlife watching tour (I did mine with David Woodhouse and this helped me to find both Eagles, the Kingfisher, the Otter and the Diver which I wouldn't have located otherwise). However I know most birders (me included ) prefer to find their own as it is far more pleasurable to do it this way. However as I don't drive my options are limited and organised tours are the only alternative.
I think you ought to go and enjoy it !

Michael

The guide David Woodhouse said that it is the first Kingfisher he has seen on Mull for about twenty Years ! He has been living there for just over twenty years I think, so it was a remarkable sighting. However he said that it has been reported three times already this year on Mull and he suspects that it may have something to do with global warming. What do you think ?

Hi Guffers,

I'd suspect the three reports will all be of the same individual, one which turned up, and liked it enough to stay.

I doubt global warming will be having an effect, as Mull has always had very mild winters, and even if it did freeze hard, Kingfishers would still be able to fish in coastal rock pools. I'd suspect the main reasons for their scarcity in western Scotland are lack of suitable nesting sites (they need high sandbanks to dig holes in), heavy rain soaking through whatever sandbanks there are and chilling the eggs/young, and perhaps also lack of fertility in the rocks & soil (so the streams have very low fish populations - but this need not matter with sea fishing available)

Michael

Hello John

I have been to Mull many times and although there are places where you are more likely to see W T Eagles they can turn up anywhere, (we had one fly low over the car on the main rd) especially this time of year when they are not confined to the areas of nest sites. Any moorland areas with young forestry are good for Hen Harrier and Short-eared Owl.

Steve

Michael and Guffers,

I suspect that isolation from larger populations is probably also a factor (although I know kingfishers are partial migrants) in the scarcity of Kingfishers in the west Highlands. In Islay there are a lot of suitable breeding sites and I doubt that the rivers are that bad for fish but kingishers are only recorded every few years and I don't think they've ever bred. As Kingfishers are badly affected by cold winters (which there haven't been many of for a while) I suspect that they are starting to spread out from their core areas where populations are highest and most stable to sink areas that are more isolated. Still an excellent record for Mull though and that sounds like you had a good trip there.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back