• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

just got my wonderful Zeiss Dialyt 8x30B! (2 Viewers)

soaring eagle

A couple of years ago a friend offered me his old Zeiss something free of charge, but they needed repair as the two wheels in the middle were loose and didnt work properly, plus they were out of collimation, and they had to be sent to England for repair as I live in Portugal, and I judged it to be too expensive. But one thing stuck in my mind and that was the simplicity and the super build quality! I just love when things are well built, so when I saw these for sale, I had to get them. So, I got them wednesday and I cannot believe they could make binoculars this good in the sixties! I have two other pairs, Vanguards 10x42 ED, and a pair from a Scandinavian conglomerate called Nordic, and they are called UltimaC 8x42 and are extremely good. And yet, my lovely Zeiss are not far behind both in daylight and evening. They are so small and the build quality is fantastic, plus they are in exellent condition. I wasnt sure about the optical quality, but bought them just for their build and looks, thats the kind of guy I am, haha.
So, if any of you is thinking of possibly getting these, just do it! They are absolutely gorgeous! Serial no is 1165059 and are from West Germany.

All the best to everybody here.

Hi Soaring Eagle

I've moved your two latest posts to the dedicated Zeiss forum and subscribed you to the thread so you can find it easily. You will receive an email with a link to click on which will bring you straight here.

Hello Soaring Eagle,

Use the Zeiss well!

I have a newer version of the same binocular.

Stay safe,
Arthur Pinewood

Thank you Arthur.

You are very lucky to have a newer pair of these wonderful bins. Do you have other pairs and, if yes, do you still use the Zeiss_

Thank you Arthur.

You are very lucky to have a newer pair of these wonderful bins. Do you have other pairs and, if yes, do you still use the Zeiss_

Hello Soaring Eagle,

Yes, I have many other binoculars. I even find binoculars from 1940 still to be useful. Of course, my Dialyt,which has phase coating is brighter, has better contrast and is more suitable when I wear eyeglasses, than any older glass. My first choice is the Zeiss 8x32FL, which is more robust and has better colour rendition. I rarely use my 8x40 Victory I binocular as the larger size is of little value in daylight.
Yes, I do use my Dialyt because it still provides wonderful views. It is a very late model, an anniversary model. I think that the leatherette covered ones are nicer. I met a bird watcher in Central Park, using one, but I think that his image stabilsed binocular was under repair.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Attachments

• Dialyt.jpg
    Dialyt.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Hi Soaring Eagle,

There were 3 versions of the Dialyt 8x30B - it was offered for 41 years from 1964 to 2004!
A lot of background information and images can be found at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=378377

And some more recent information is at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=316759
The image in the last post showing the 3 versions along with the successor Victory FL 8x32B is particularly interesting

Also see a couple of images of the 3rd version in leatherette that Arthur mentions
- the first is from 2017 eBay listing by gerhel0586
- the second from a 2017 eBay listing by over_dog

John

Attachments

• 8x30B Dialyt.jpg
    8x30B Dialyt.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Dialyt 8x30B.jpg
    Dialyt 8x30B.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 33
Hello John,

Here is a comparison photo of the late Dialyt and the 8x32 FL.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Attachments

• IMG_0414.jpg
    IMG_0414.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 70
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back