• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alpine swift or swallow? Baltic Coast, NW Poland 25.10.2020 (1 Viewer)

Here's a slightly more sensible but still crazy thought or two -

I was guessing this was a burst (Ryszard?) or was it a series of separate shots? Anyone able to look at the exif data for timing? If the shots were stitched into an animation with correct timing, would it give a cute little animation which could give some flight clues??? Probably Not I know ;)

Definitely not a lark species of any kind with that wing shape!

Well if you're going to be boring and sensible, we can also exclude Manta Ray because they don't fly against the sun in the Baltics ... (normally).

(Obviously the wing shape has been burnt out, and it might be missing some primaries?!? ;) )

Well if you're going to be boring and sensible,)
that’s a bit uncalled for - the OP asked a genuine ID question which I was trying to help with. I have no problems with people having fun but I don’t take very kindly to your criticism of being ‘boring’ because I am trying to help someone. If you are bored by my suggestions to the OP, please feel free to go and find something more exiting to occupy your time.

As I said, along with everyone else, it’s unidentifiable but I think we can safely rule out a few genus here, such as larks.

that’s a bit uncalled for - the OP asked a genuine ID question which I was trying to help with. I have no problems with people having fun but I don’t take very kindly to your criticism of being ‘boring’ because I am trying to help someone. If you are bored by my suggestions to the OP, please feel free to go and find something more exiting to occupy your time.

As I said, along with everyone else, it’s unidentifiable but I think we can safely rule out a few genus here, such as larks.

Please note the smillie there Deb and context ... sorry if you were offended. Absolutely no need or intent.

Being sensible, a wader is a reasonably good call - long-winged and apparent neck-ring. A question to the OP would be though whether they could have mistaken the flight mode of a wader in this case ...

Id like to note that while Temminck's Lark is utterly absurd, Horned is actually perfectly within the possibilities for the location :)

Absurd was the reasoning - the OP suggested early on that it could be a mega rare. ;)

My first thought before seeing any other replies was a pratincole from images 2 and 4 at least. That actually fits better with flight style (?), all dark underwing and does have an apparent neck band (but whether it would show in these images?)

Anyway ... ;)

Last edited:
Hi

Sorry for the poor photos. I saw the bird from a distance and against the Sun, which is why there is such discepancy in size assessment.

Thanks for posting the images Ryszard - it was always a long shot as you probably realised by what you agree are ‘poor photos’ but absolutely don’t be put off posting ‘poor’ images in the future as it’s definitely always worth trying. Sometimes it’s perhaps a better idea with distant birds to watch them for as long as possible through binoculars before it disappears, making as many mental notes as possible while doing so - ie, how is it flying (straight/zigzag/undulating? etc), is it calling?, what is the overall impression of size (compared to a bird you know) and shape (eg long winged? Shortwinged/roundwinged/short neck/long neck/legs projecting from tail? etc etc). If you have time to grab a few quick shots first great but sometimes your eyes and ears can tell you things a camera can not.

I'd also rule out Pratincoles, despite the limitations. The images are obviously from a burst of photos and can give a suggestion of movement, as I think was said before. Pratincoles have a different flight action, especially not almost closing wings (as on the photo in post #2) imo.

I'd also rule out Pratincoles, despite the limitations. The images are obviously from a burst of photos and can give a suggestion of movement, as I think was said before. Pratincoles have a different flight action, especially not almost closing wings (as on the photo in post #2) imo.

Well, if you're going to be boring and sensible ...

Of course it may not be closed wings, just parallel to the plane of the body and we can't see them ;) . I'll be honest and after posting I also wonder that wings are not really long enough for pratincole too. Certainly just playing with ideas ... triangular shape of wings could favour swallow, as you perhaps suggested in #9 (and the OP even suggested Swallow initially - Occam's Razor and all that ... )

B :)

Temminck’s Lark - no. it is for me burn swallow. several migratory birds have currently been sighted on the coast

Well, if you're going to be boring and sensible ...

Of course it may not be closed wings, just parallel to the plane of the body and we can't see them. I'll be honest and after posting I also wonder that wings are not really long enough for pratincole too. Certainly just playing with ideas ... triangular shape of wings could favour swallow, as you perhaps suggested in #9 (and the OP even suggested Swallow initially - Occam's Razor and all that ... )

B :)
:eat:

Yes, I also thought of that, and it is a valid argument. But it just feels good for a swallow to me (with apparent broad wing base, not very long hand). Oh well, it was what it was! :t:

Thanks for posting the images Ryszard - it was always a long shot as you probably realised by what you agree are ‘poor photos’ but absolutely don’t be put off posting ‘poor’ images in the future as it’s definitely always worth trying. Sometimes it’s perhaps a better idea with distant birds to watch them for as long as possible through binoculars before it disappears, making as many mental notes as possible while doing so - ie, how is it flying (straight/zigzag/undulating? etc), is it calling?, what is the overall impression of size (compared to a bird you know) and shape (eg long winged? Shortwinged/roundwinged/short neck/long neck/legs projecting from tail? etc etc). If you have time to grab a few quick shots first great but sometimes your eyes and ears can tell you things a camera can not.

I have such a reflex that if I see something suspicious through my binoculars in one second, I take pictures without hesitation. Thanks to this approach, I have documented many very rare birds, which can be seen in the film.

Temminck’s Lark - no. it is for me burn swallow. several migratory birds have currently been sighted on the coast

:eat:

Yes, I also thought of that, and it is a valid argument. But it just feels good for a swallow to me (with apparent broad wing base, not very long hand). Oh well, it was what it was! :t:

Temminck's Lark was a (bad) joke suggestion ... just part of the fun as started earlier in the thread. ;)

I assume a Swallow is a good/nice bird for you there this late in the season? In any case agree 95-99% Swallow on these pics perhaps, or whatever value anyone assigns. Anything else an alternative common bird, or a rarity, exactly what we would almost certainly never be able to determine ... !!

honestly, I thought it could be something more interesting, for example the first one for WP. Burn swallow in October does not interest me, but I am glad that you helped me identify 99% of the bird. Thanks!

honestly, I thought it could be something more interesting, for example the first one for WP. Burn swallow in October does not interest me, but I am glad that you helped me identify 99% of the bird. Thanks!

Think you, Rafael, common-sense and others identified it. Others may still disagree ...

Dipped into your video ... nice idea, and some nice birds. Is that Bjork at 23 minutes? And is that your seawatching location throughout? - some nice seas!

Yes Dan, «*laugh and the world laughs with you»they say;);)

Or they cry, groan, or ...

:t:

Last edited:
I have such a reflex that if I see something suspicious through my binoculars in one second, I take pictures without hesitation. Thanks to this approach, I have documented many very rare birds, which can be seen in the film.

Yeah, shoot first, ask later, that's the right approach, when talking about photography, as digital shots are free :) The Baltic coast is great to look for rarities, so carry on!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back