• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kaeng Krachan Access? (1 Viewer)

Paul Pearson

Hi

I am part of a UK team hoping to visit visit Kaeng Krachan NP in mid-march 2008 as part of a wider north/south trip.

Does anyone know if access has been possible this winter? We would be very grateful for any up to date access information for this site (as well as any latest bird gen of course)

many thanks

Paul

Hi

I am part of a UK team hoping to visit visit Kaeng Krachan NP in mid-march 2008 as part of a wider north/south trip.

Does anyone know if access has been possible this winter? We would be very grateful for any up to date access information for this site (as well as any latest bird gen of course)

many thanks

Paul

PM Norfolkbirder - he got back a couple of days ago

Hi Tim

Thanks for that - sounds excellent.

Help me with the acronym though - how do I find his email address? Sorry if I'm a bit slow!

Paul

The news appears positive.

Initial responses from Nick Upton (Thaibirding.com) and Dominic Le Croissotte are encouraging (see coloured text below). Both believe access should be OK with a suitable vehicle.

I have also had excellent recent news from norfolkbirder who has just returned from Thailand and access is possible at KK :
"KK – access is okay from 5am, but fi you want to go all the way to the top you will need a 4 wheel drive, as the road deteriotes beyond the scope of a car after the 2nd gate. If you know KK you will be fine of course – if not make sure you have explicit directions to the Park entry gate ( now where near the Park HQ!!) we had a bit of difficulty find the entrance as there are no English signs for the last 5-6K.
[Dominic Le Croissotte gives such directions - see his KK report on Thaibirding.com]
Really good Park ranger called “Jacky” at the second gate, razor sharp & keen. Birding was easiest from the road, tried wandering into forest on a few trails but very difficult."

Thanks to all for help

Paul

Does anyone know if it is necessary to have a 4WD vehicle to drive from the Ban Krang campsite to Panoen Tong campsite (in KK) during the dry season? Some reports seem to suggest it is necessary (e.g. thaibirding.com site description) and other reports suggest it is not necessary.

We visited in late December 2006 and took a car, on the basis that it was possible to get to the top the year before by car.
However on getting to the first stream (km16.5 I believe) we managed a slight dint in the front spoiler on crossing (even though we inched forward). Then a couple of Kms past the second stream we came to a steep slope with loads of loose rocks, and however much we tried we couldn't get up. So bloody annoying, but at least the hire car company didn't notice the damage.
John - this is between the two campsites.
I can only imagine it has deteriorated since, so a 4x4, or at the very least a high ground clearance 4x2 truck will be needed.
There were plenty of people around in 4x4's on the track when we were there (they rightly thought we were mad in a little car). So hitching would have been easy, however it was over the Christmas holidays so not typical I would suggest.

Last edited:
Yeas, a 4x4 is a necessity for doing KK. I visited in April 06 and wouldn't have gotten very high up the mountain without one! Its was cheap too, a little Suzuki from Petchaburi Car Rentals in Bangkok (not in Petchaburi..doh!). If you tell them a friend had recommended them to you, you may get a better deal too.
Also remember you can only go up and down at certain times, and don't forget to take loads of food if your camping as it's a long long way back to the nearest restaurant! And petrol station for that matter....
Another plus for having your own transport is night driving down to the entrance gate and back again - good for nightjars and mammals.

Just to clarify on access in Kaeng Krachan, during the wet season the Park rangers seem to close the road beyond Ban Krang campsite. Wet season officially "ends" (!) on 1st November. I went in late October and was told I wasn't allowed to drive up beyond Ban Krang (which was annoying as I had hired a 4WD especially for the trip).

I'm going back late Feb and have booked a rear-wheel SUV for getting up to the top (Panoen Tong campsite) - the main problem in the past has been ground clearance (as mentioned by John Eaton), rather than actually needing to engage the 4WD...famous last words :eek:)

However if any one has been recently and knows that 4WD is essential this season please let me know so i can change my hire car!

Oh, and has anyone seen white-fronted scops owl at KK recently?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, v useful. I've found a good deal on a pick-up from a bunch called Q-Cars. That should get me up anything.

John

Last edited:
Jon, I'll be there the week before you. I'll post some info on here if I get the chance / have any info in the first place! You have of course been to thaibirding.com?

Thanks John, that would be much appreciated! Yes, I've checked out thaibirding.com and downloaded some trip reports from there, as well as elsewhere. Up-to-date gen would be even better, since some of the reports are quite old...! What sites are you expecting to visit? I'm just looking at Kai Yao and the three Doi's in the north...

I'm sticking to the centre - I only have 8 days. My plan is Laem Pak Bia (1d), Kaeng Krachan NP (2-3d), Khao Yai NP (2-3d) and Nam Nao NP (2d), but if KK and KY are real good, I might miss out NN at the end. I would love to go to the north - it'll have to be another time.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back