• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Average number of "life" birds on trip to new area? (1 Viewer)

Merg

Just curious how many new lifers you tend to tally if you're going to a very new habitat/area that isn't close to your home region?

The only time I've ever really gone to a totally different region since I've been birding, I went out for about 3 hours and got about 20 new birds.

I'm going to the Rio Grande in South Texas for 2 days in July, and figure I'll get somewhere between 20 and... oh... 300 or so ;)

Also, do you count feral populations in your life list?

I guess that would depend very much on where you are and where you are going to. I I went to say Thailand, i would not expect many lifers. If I went to the Philippines, I'd probably have heaps.

Personally, I do not count ferals.

Never been birding outside of Sweden, and when I travel within Sweden I used to get maybe one or two lifers. Not so many nowadays.

Been thinking of going to Spain for birding one day, and then I would expect several lifers! No idea how many though.

Ferals... mostly, no, although I do count Pheasants since they've been feral here for such a long time.

It shouldn't be about the lifers anyhow....it about birding. I know I go places now where I am going to see the same things I have seen before in terms of 'lifers' but it is that 'find'...I am looking for. The bird sitting in an odd way, or the mannerisms, perhaps they are flying and landing or it could be the color of the background etc.... just some thoughts.

It shouldn't be about the lifers anyhow....

You've never travelled somewhere (even within driving distance of your home) to see a new species?

it about birding. I know I go places now where I am going to see the same things I have seen before in terms of 'lifers' but it is that 'find'...I am looking for. The bird sitting in an odd way, or the mannerisms, perhaps they are flying and landing or it could be the color of the background etc.... just some thoughts.

And I do the same. It was just an attempt at a lighthearted, conversational thread...

Indeed. I kinda feel - the ultimate is Australia. Granted, not close to my home but none-the-less. I might as well have had the book 'upsidedown'.......when I started there. Beyone exciting and bizzare....... I've had some of the best times (especially with great friends) seeing new species, making a list, drinking heavily, etc.

Another spot (kinda locally) to think about is SE Arizona.....

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back