• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss SF 8x32 have arrived! (1 Viewer)

I got a telephone call from Pete@optics4birding yesterday 09/09/20 saying my Zeiss 8X32SF were in and I received notice that they had been shipped today 09/10/20, due in early next week FedEx, I have been patiently
waiting so far so maybe I can contain myself a day or two more, it is a big maybe though.

I got a telephone call from Pete@optics4birding yesterday 09/09/20 saying my Zeiss 8X32SF were in and I received notice that they had been shipped today 09/10/20, due in early next week FedEx, I have been patiently
waiting so far so maybe I can contain myself a day or two more, it is a big maybe though.
We would really appreciate your feedback on it when you get it!

Zeiss 8X32 SF feedback

We would really appreciate your feedback on it when you get it!
When I get them (now Tuesday 9/15/20) according to FedEx at least I will certainly give a first view and what I think of them, I have for comparison a Nikon 8X32 Superior E, Nikon 8X30 E (older version) Nikon 8X32 HGL and a Nikon 7X42 EDG. This should give some comparison to binoculars of known quality. There is one issue I have I live in the Portland Oregon area and we are currently under a heavy smoke layer due to smoke in the valley's so it might be a while before I can get them out for a good look.

When I get them (now Tuesday 9/15/20) according to FedEx at least I will certainly give a first view and what I think of them, I have for comparison a Nikon 8X32 Superior E, Nikon 8X30 E (older version) Nikon 8X32 HGL and a Nikon 7X42 EDG. This should give some comparison to binoculars of known quality. There is one issue I have I live in the Portland Oregon area and we are currently under a heavy smoke layer due to smoke in the valley's so it might be a while before I can get them out for a good look.
Yes, we are having a lot of wildfires here too in the mountains and sometimes it looks like the fallout after a nuclear bomb. You have some nice binoculars to compare the new SF 8x32 to. An EDG and Nikon SE are pretty tough competition!

Yes those SE's are among my favorites and when you factor in cost $550.00 from Camera World of Oregon they might be among the best bang for buck binocular that I have ever used.

Got my 8x32 today - first impression is very positive!!! More perhaps later.

I registered the new SF on Zeiss' website and found that experience a bit less positive - Zeiss now says that the warranty period is generally only 2 years (!) from date of purchase, but if you register, the "extended warranty period" is 3 years. This is valid for products purchased after Dec. 15, 2018.

So definitely gone are the times when we got 10 years warranty on Zeiss binoculars. And since I recently had to send in several of my Zeiss binoculars due to beginning internal fogging (all binos less than 5 years old, so clearly product quality issue), for me the reduced warranty period is not necessarily going to instil a lot of confidence when considering to buy future Zeiss products.

Canip

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-26 at 12.16.53.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Got my 8x32 today - first impression is very positive!!! More perhaps later.

I registered the new SF on Zeiss' website and found that experience a bit less positive - Zeiss now says that the warranty period is generally only 2 years (!) from date of purchase, but if you register, the "extended warranty period" is 3 years. This is valid for products purchased after Dec. 15, 2018.

So definitely gone are the times when we got 10 years warranty on Zeiss binoculars. And since I recently had to send in several of my Zeiss binoculars due to beginning internal fogging (all binos less than 5 years old, so clearly product quality issue), for me the reduced warranty period is not necessarily going to instil a lot of confidence when considering to buy future Zeiss products.

Canip

Unbelievable but true--- many years ago it was 30y, more recently 10y, and now it's 2y:
https://www.zeiss.com/consumer-products/int/service/product-registration.html
This basically means that if you bought a pair of used Zeiss binoculars you would likely have no warranty.
Thanks, Canip, for the heads-up.

I can see why there is some confusion but as an authorised dealer has posted this....
QUOTE=jan van daalen;4065379]According to the enclosed warranty card the SF 32 has 10 years warranty.
Jan[/QUOTE]: What does the warranty card for your binocular actually state in relation to the length of the cover?

Last edited:
I can see why there is some confusion but as an authorised dealer has posted this....
QUOTE=jan van daalen;4065379]According to the enclosed warranty card the SF 32 has 10 years warranty.
Jan
: What does the warranty card for your binocular actually state in relation to the length of the cover?[/QUOTE]

Canip/Pyrtle,

It is a MINIMUM warranty period of two years for all products (read: electronics) but the enclosed warranty card for each model is legit.
In case of the SF32 it is 10 years according to its warranty card.

Jan

My SF 42 warranty card says 10 years, I have no quibble. Just that Canip and PeterPS seemed concerned by a section of the wording on the registration process. Hopefully all now rectified and soothed.

Thanks.

False Alarm

Jan and Pat,
Thanks for clarifying this. Imo Zeiss should reformulate their registration document to make it less ambiguous.
Peter

My SF came in its original unopened packaging, and no warranty card was included (so I thought that Zeiss perhaps stopped enclosing such cards, which I have for all my previous Zeiss binoculars).

My SF came in its original unopened packaging, and no warranty card was included (so I thought that Zeiss perhaps stopped enclosing such cards, which I have for all my previous Zeiss binoculars).

Hi Canip,

It is included in that pamflet (A4 size) called instruction manual;)

Sigh, I Know. One would expect a decent warranty card........... It seems we live in modern times (no paper)B :)

Jan

Thank you, Jan!

Now I see it, Zeiss hid the „ten year guarantee“ very well in the smallprint.

The scope of the warranty, however, remains Zeiss‘ secret, because I tried in vain to open the link they mention:
www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/premium-warranty-conditions

Has anyone else tried?

Here is the info that I found (admittedly after a rather quick search):
https://www.zeiss.com/consumer-products/int/service/repairs/binoculars.html
Click on the last item on the right hand side to open the pdf. The document is rather confusing, it still mentions 2 years and also states that the warranty is not transferable.
I think the only solution is to rely on the warranty info that comes with the product/binos.

Here is the info that I found (admittedly after a rather quick search):
https://www.zeiss.com/consumer-products/int/service/repairs/binoculars.html
Click on the last item on the right hand side to open the pdf. The document is rather confusing, it still mentions 2 years and also states that the warranty is not transferable.
I think the only solution is to rely on the warranty info that comes with the product/binos.

In April I sent a probably 20 years old Dialyt 7x42 T*P which I purchaised a couple of years ago second hand to Zeiss, the focussing was too stiff, it seems to be resinified. Three weeks later I got the Dialyt back with a nice letter saying that they had also cleaned the prisms. It looked like new, everything for free, no shipping coasts (both directions, I printed out the Zeiss service sheet for shipping)

Thomas

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back