• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's this tree and what's going on with it? (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Taken in the grounds of Skipness Castle in May.

I don't know what to call the big lump, what's caused it do you think.

I've got a picture of the leaf too. But on my sister's advice took a close-up of where the stem meets the leaf, as she thought that could be important sometimes with the ID.

Attachments

• BF Tree for ID 300518.jpg
    BF Tree for ID 300518.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 46
  • BF Tree leaf for ID 300518.jpg
    BF Tree leaf for ID 300518.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 38
  • BF Tree leaf close-up for ID 300518.jpg
    BF Tree leaf close-up for ID 300518.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 28
Wych Elm Ulmus glabra.

A burl on the trunk - a sort of 'messy' outgrowth of wood often (not always) with lots of small sprout shoots on it. Wood carvers often pay high sums for them as they have very intricate wood grain inside.

Thanks Michael.

Wych Elm, of course. I thought the leaf looked like an elm.

Do you know what causes those burls, is it some sort of damage, or does it just 'happen'?

Just found this on wikipedia

A burl results from a tree undergoing some form of stress. It may be caused by an injury, virus or fungus. ... Almost all burl wood is covered by bark, even if it is underground. Insect infestation and certain types of mold infestation are the most common causes of this condition.
Burl - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burl

Cheers,

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back