• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scoter, Musselburgh, UK (1 Viewer)

I don't think competitive listing comes in to it Owen. Finds are better in the field than on phone / computer screens, but every credit for going with your gut feelings on this.

All the best,

Stephen

Well you must have seen it in the field if you even glimpsed at the scoter flock.

If you look at a flock of greylag geese flying overhead, but you don't notice that pink-footed goose until looking through the photos that still counts (surely?).

I was going through some photos my wife had taken of Velvet Scoter at Musselburgh on boxing day and noticed the individual on the left has a markedly pinkish bill compared to the others, which I thought suggests one of the White-winged Scoter sub-species, stejnegeri or deglandi. It also appears to have a more pronounced bill knob visible in the heavier crop.

I've had little experience of these species so would appreciate some help with this one. Feel like I've overlooked something.

Thanks in advance,

Owen

Congratulations to your wife! PLEASE refind, could well still be there, last one turned up the day before my son was born, needless to say I couldn't go!
AND I was in Aberdeen for Christmas!

Cracking find... As Stephen says don't know whether to say congrats or commiserations!

ATB

Steph'

Its not really a cracking find is it - it clealry wasn't picked out as being something unusual as it isnt the main subject of the image, just creeps in on the left hand side of the image. More then a little lucky and fortuious

If refound it would be a vey welcome break on the way back from Inverness for several loads of southern twitchers.

Steve

There were quite a few folk looking today in perfect calm conditions. Most of the scoters were a long way out and it was not among the velvets that were closer in. It could easily be around though.
Birding generally good though off the sea wall at Musselburgh with 2 GND's, 2 BTD's, surf scoter, 10+ slavs, 50+LTD's. A little further down the coast has 2 king eiders(females), black necked grebe, red necked grebes, black guillemot, water pipit and good numbers of divers so good birding generally if anyone is in the area

Its not really a cracking find is it - it clealry wasn't picked out as being something unusual as it isnt the main subject of the image, just creeps in on the left hand side of the image. More then a little lucky and fortuious

While it was lucky that it was included in the photo I think that credit is due for noticing it and putting it on here. I wonder how many people would have noticed it in the photo. Of course it may yet be refound because of this and all the people who then see it will I'm sure be very grateful.

It does raise the question that has occurred to me on several occasions when it comes to the official record. I had always assumed, possibly erroneously, that the finder and identifier (if different), should be credited in the official record. In recent years though it has sometimes been that case that the identifier did so from photographs and didn't actually see the bird. This being the case should they be credited?

Cheers

Roy

I don't get this. Owen didn't take the picture, and even if he had where the bird is in the photo is utterly irrelevant. I don't see how it is luck that he has examined the photograph and seen an unusual bird which he has then correctly identified. If it is lucky then most rare bird finds are 'lucky'.

There always has to be someone to rain on the parade on here doesn't there.

I think I'd go for American on what can be made of the bill structure - perhaps the Aberdeen bird returning to the east coast?; amazing record.

cheers, a

We went back to search today, plenty of other birders looking and good conditions but many of the scoter were too distant to identify. Excellent birding otherwise and the morbid spectacle of a dead sperm whale being towed out to sea. If it gets found again I think I'll have to drop everything to come and see it. Thanks to everyone for your help

Agree with others on this thread - a cracking find however it came to light - and so much better than this mealy mouthed sour-grapes comment ...

Chris A.

It may not be a 'find' in the collapse-on-floor, air-punching wildly sense of the word but fair play for a) being out there looking in the first place (even if it was for a Surf Scoter!) and b) noticing it in the photograph, however fortuitous that was. Sjbb2010 - don't forget that every find requires an element of luck - even if you stack the odds in your favour by 'right time, right place' birding or relentless patch-working.

I wonder if those who are so clear-cut in their views on what can/can't be ticked and/or counted as a 'find' have had an experience like this: http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2249787&postcount=93

In the digital age, birds are increasingly being 'found' after the event via images. Black-eared Wheatear in Lincs, Brünnich's Guillemot (x2 individuals, at least), Eastern Crowned Warbler, the list goes on and on. Best not to get hung up on it and be glad of the 'record'... and in e.g. the case of one of the guillemots and the ECW, the chance to see the bird!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back