• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lothian Birding (2 Viewers)

BBRC have accepted the record of White-winged Scoter at Musselburgh on 26 December 2013, potentially Britains's first record of Stejneger's Scoter, the Asian "species" in the Velvet/White-winged Scoter superspecies.

David

Last edited:
2 buzzards around Blackford hill gonna go back and get some photos soon as I know where they like to have a seat now! Also a wee stoat ran past me while I was watching them, never seen one before so was a wee bonus. :]

Last weekend I had a good romp about the Midlothian Reservoirs. Mainly listening for drumming Snipe, so I was out from 22:30 until 1:15! Knackered the next day but well worth it.

First Tawny of the night was at Roseberry Reservoir, with it's mate replying. Lots of bats about too, and a pair of Lapwings still calling at 22:25 when I was wandering about in the near darkness.

Next Tawny was along the main road which goes past Gladhouse, but further north than Gladhouse. A nest with young calling. Slightly further along this road was a large number of Black-headed Gulls hawking above the field, presumably feeding on moths, no Nightjars unfortunately. On the same stretch of road was a chipping Snipe and a roding Woodcock passed over a couple times. I've been told that's the first roding record this year? Is it possible people haven't been out particularly late so haven't heard or seen the Woodcocks?

Closer to a patch of moorland just north west of Gladhouse I had another young Tawny calling, and at the moorland another pair of Tawnies calling to eachother. Over this moorland I also had 3 Snipe, one of which was drumming; 1 Oystercatcher; and the two Tawnies that I just mentioned.

On the walk back I came across one of the pairs of Tawny Owls again, and was surprised to hear a reeling Grasshopper Warbler down by Edgelaw Reservoir. And as I was listening to that I heard the screech of a Barn Owl but didn't see it, so no year tick for me.

Another 3 Tawnies later and a jump scare from a roosting Pheasant, I was nearly home. Coming up a steep bit of road I was treated to the sight of a Badger's bum disappearing through a gap in a fence, my first Badger.

... and a roding Woodcock passed over a couple times. I've been told that's the first roding record this year? Is it possible people haven't been out particularly late so haven't heard or seen the Woodcocks?
I'd agree with Gus that they'll have been overlooked; they are quite common just south of the border in upland Northumbs.

I'd agree with Gus that they'll have been overlooked; they are quite common just south of the border in upland Northumbs.

Very late response from me on this, but I needed to revisit data from 2013 census which was included in LBR (now in press I hope!). Anyway, that was the year of the BTO Woodcock Survey and despite having few squares done for that we made a big effort for the final summer of the local atlas - I personally checked in about 40 tetrads and we had visits to at least 77 in total. We found a mere 33 roding males, in 23 tetrads, with birds in 4 others classed as non-breeders, probably late migrants, but most significantly, a blank drawn in 50 tetrads. There were only three good sites: Dalmeny NT17NPTU where Harry Dott got 8+, Binning NT57V/68A where Mark Holling had 4+ and Butterdean/Cuddie NT47KLMP where I reckoned also 4+. Thus we concluded the atlas with breeding code records in 119 tetrads in SE Scotland, a drastic decline from 300 in the 1988-94 atlas; breeding confirmations have collapsed too, just two each in Lothian and Borders for 2007-13, versus 18 and 12 in last atlas, respectively, and numbers drastically down. Indeed in Lothian, NT46/47/56 were the only hectads to maintain a reasonable number of tetrads with possible breeding presence, though even this probably masks a similar decline, e.g. in Gosford NT47P where now very scarce (attributed to dogs) and formerly quite common - but near total elimination across much of Midlothian and the West, apart from Dalmeny.

Under-recording will certainly be to blame for some, but significant efforts were made, we had lots of discussion on the SEScotBirdAtlas yahoogroup (for reference here, here - not visible to non-subscribers, sorry!) including for example comment from someone who had surveyed Camilty area extensively in 2011-12 for a wind farm and had no Woodcocks (Geoff had just a single last year IIRC). A full analysis of status, including population estimates and speculation on reasons for decline (it won't be our canine friends in the more remote conifer plantations) will be available in the local atlas which is being written up, 170 out of 197 long accounts now drafted and being edited!

Last edited:
Finally a decent day to get out and a couple of pleasant hours were spent down at Torness. There is a long staying barred warbler present at feeders between Thorntonloch and Torness and it was showing very well today. It is Scotland's first December record and it looks set for the winter. Lots of tree sparrows there too.

It was still pretty windy but the east end of the seawall gave good protection. Ther was a steady trickle of little auks heading east. About 25 in 15 minutes and then 35 in 15 minutes just before I left. 3 RTD's the only other birds of note.

Barred Warbler still present at Thorntonloch today with lots of Tree Sparrows.

5 Little Egrets, Kingfisher, Snipe and Greenshank at Belhaven Bay.

David

Haven't had much opportunity for birding lately but have noted a couple of Jays in places that I don't think I've seen them before: Millerhill/Old Craighall and Duddingston

Geoff

Quite a sizeable mixed flock of Feral Pigeons, Starlings, Redwings, Fieldfare and other thrushes in the field by Liberton Tower. Also a nice flock of finches, mainly Linnets, but have also picked out at least 1 Tree Sparrow and plenty Chaffinches. Suspect there's Brambling amongst them too...

Water Rail has returned to the Hermitage.

Nice to bump into you again y'day. Well done on the Water Rail - by no means easy to see at this site!
Raven is also unexpectedly rare here. I've only seen it once I think and not for a year or so. Yet to get it onto my garden list.

I'm looking forward to 2016 as I'll have a bit more time for birding from Feb onwards I hope...

You too Geoff, turns out I missed a call from James (either before or after seeing you) to tell me the Kingfisher was back in the same place it was last spotted! Only saw I had a missed call once I got back home, by which time the bird had left. It must be there more often, and must be using other sections of the Braid Burn too, just need to find out where that is!

I thought that of Raven too. Considering they are seen around Arthur's Seat and the Pentlands you'd think they'd stop off in our area if they are travelling between the two sites. Only birds of note recently have been a few Redpoll and a single Siskin.

... have noted a couple of Jays in places that I don't think I've seen them before: Millerhill/Old Craighall and Duddingston

Geoff

One last weekend moving between patches of woodland between Craigmillar and Little France.

A similar area again - could easily be a single roving bird I've seen 3 times - or a sign that they are now establishing themselves in this part of Edinburgh

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back