• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

£300 for a repair to my ES80ED (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

Not a cheap business is it :eek!:

Need to replace the outer objective lens as its cracked slightly at the edge after being blown over.

It still works but I reckon its performance is reduced by 10%.

I've asked for it back without the repair done.:-C

I suppose the end lens is the most expensive part?

It depends on the type of crack, and in which element of presumably a doublet, but could be more elements?

Some can spread.

With a telescope objective sometimes I think that a small hole is carefully drilled to stop the crack spreading.

So the scope may be O.K. or may need future repair or replacement.

Is the accident covered under a house insurance or contents policy?

Last edited:
Cheers for your thoughts, I'll look into the insurance aspect but don't think it is.
The crack is right on the edge of the lens. To be honest its more like a small circle rather than a crack-line.
Considering the cost of repair is almost half the cost of a new one, think I'll give it a miss.

Probably save up for a new scope.

I checked with my home insurance re the coating coming off the eyepieces of my bins. They said that was a no go because it was something that has (was) happened over time - if it had been an issue of something that had occurred as a result of a single incident (ie, being blown over in your case) they would, in all likelihood cover it.

So very much worth checking - just make sure you explain it was an actual incident rather that an on-going situation.

If the insurance covers this.
Is there an excess?
Would you lose a no claims bonus?

Do not allow the insurance company to use their own repairers. Likely to take a year and end up bad. Only Opticron repair. I.e. manufacturer or official repair.

Hi,

a small chip at the edge of an element is likely not going to be visible or spread. If you want to make sure that it's not visible, use a fine brush and black paint to touch up the chip.

I would just continue to use it.

Joachim

A small chip at the edge of an element is likely not going to be visible or spread. If you want to make sure that it's not visible, use a fine brush and black paint to touch up the chip.

I would just continue to use it.

Same here. Just use it. I used a Kowa TS1 with a small chip in the objective lens for years back in the 80s. No problem at all.

Hermann

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back