• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 San Diego CA rails (1 Viewer)

zoutedrop

zoutedrop
Hi all,

Would like to validate a couple of rails.
First was taken in Tijuana Slough NWR I think Ridgway's
Second was taken in San Diego River I think Virginia

Both taken this past Monday

thanks!

Attachments

• JV8A0066 RIRA.jpg
    JV8A0066 RIRA.jpg
    442.9 KB · Views: 102
  • JV8A0175 VIRA.jpg
    JV8A0175 VIRA.jpg
    556.1 KB · Views: 104
Agree, both Ridgway’s.

I dislike the name of this recently split species, I must say, with its odd spelling. Surely, they could have come up with something better than that!

Last edited:
thanks for the ID

I am trying to find who the bird is named after but could not find it (google).

Can someone help? RIDGWAY

Agree, both Ridgway’s.

I dislike the name of this recently split species, I must say, with its odd spelling. Surely, they could have come up with something better than that!

One or the greats of American Ornithology. Wrote the first detailed identification criteria for almost all North American birds. Museums still use his multivolume works today for identifying tricky taxa (particularly subspecies). Although the lumping era of the 1930-1980 lumped many of what Ridgway considered species, the latest splitting fiesta has come to recognize much of Ridway's taxonomy as legit. And the spelling - well, that is the way his name is spelled.

Andy

One or the greats of American Ornithology. Wrote the first detailed identification criteria for almost all North American birds. Museums still use his multivolume works today for identifying tricky taxa (particularly subspecies). Although the lumping era of the 1930-1980 lumped many of what Ridgway considered species, the latest splitting fiesta has come to recognize much of Ridway's taxonomy as legit. And the spelling - well, that is the way his name is spelled.

Yes, I’m aware of who Ridgway was and of the importance of his magnum opus. My objection to naming the rail after him is mostly esthetic—“Ridgway’s Rail” to my eyes just looks ugly on the page. Better IMO would be a geographical or descriptive name. That’s all my comment amounted to—a personal predilection mildly expressed and certainly nothing for anybody else to fuss about

Last edited:
Nice photos of this near-threatened species. Consensus around here is that they are "tricky" to spot.

I say "tricky" because my partner has gotten good at it (by going against common spotting advice) and we are lucky enough to live near a sanctuary where they are going out of their way to protect them.

Nice photos of this near-threatened species. Consensus around here is that they are "tricky" to spot.

I say "tricky" because my partner has gotten good at it (by going against common spotting advice) and we are lucky enough to live near a sanctuary where they are going out of their way to protect them.

When I lived in the Bay Area decades ago, the old Palo Alto Yacht Harbor was a sure spot for them, even at low tide. At high tide (along with Virginia Rails, Soras and, at the very highest tides, Black Rails) they were all over the place! Don’t know. what the current state of affairs might be.

Last edited:
When I lived in the Bay Area decades ago, the old Palo Alto Yacht Harbor was a sure spot for them (even at low tide. At high tide (along with Virginia Rails, Soras and, at the very highest tides, Black Rails) they were all over the place! Don’t know. what the current state of affairs might be.

Many years ago I stood on the boardwalk at the Palo Alto Baylands and scanning around the marsh counted 24 Ridgway's Rails (or Clapper Rails, as we called them then). There are a few left, but it is very hard to find Ridgway's there now, even on the highest tides.

What organization split and named Ridgway's Rail?

These decisions are made by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature NACC of the American Ornithologists Society, experts who evaluate the evidence and whose recommendations most ornithologists in North America follow.

Yes, I’m aware of who Ridgway was and of the importance of his magnum opus. My objection to naming the rail after him is mostly esthetic—“Ridgway’s Rail” to my eyes just looks ugly on the page.

Much of the problem seems to be the unexpected spelling of the chap's name and the way it confuses people - already two variant spellings in this thread alone!

... Ridgeway's ...

... Ridway's ...

I find "Ridgway's Rail" hard to pronounce, if only because I am rarely in its range so it's not an everyday phrase for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back