• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID from Houston, USA (1 Viewer)

JeffMoh

Can anyone help with ID from this dreadful photo, taken yesterday in Bear Creek Park, Houston?

Jeff

Attachments

• two unknown birds[2].JPG
    two unknown birds[2].JPG
    88 KB · Views: 151
Could the one on the left be a Chestnut sided or bay breasted warbler. It is a strange place to see one of those but i'm just throwing it out there to get it started.

I may be wrong on this, but maybe a verdin. I only say this because of the apparent yellow head and greyish body of the bird on the left. It's hard to tell though, too fuzzy.

Hope this helps.

I don't think they are really identifiable, but a more common warbler like Pine would be likely.

To my eyes, there is something siskenlike (or maybe lesser goldfinch) in the shape of the left one, including the shape of the bill.

Niels

I would think Lesser Goldfinch would show more white on the tertials, but it's really hard to tell from this photo. I have seen Pine Warblers on the ground. I'm not really sure what these are.

Lesser Goldfinch isn't normally found in Houston, but it seems slightly more likely than Verdin to occur there, according to the map in the mini-Sibley.

Thanks

Thanks for your suggestions.

My own guess would be Pine Warblers. They're one of the only warblers that seem comfortable on the ground and they're very common at Bear Creek.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back