• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird ID needed - Hatfield Pennsylvania (1 Viewer)

The default hummer in your area is the ruby-throated hummingbird. I should leave the possibility of a rarity to someone else, and just wish you wellcome here at Birdforum.

Niels

Hello from one Pennsylvanian to another,

Yes the most common Hummingbird as stated by Niels is Ruby-Throated but the occasional visitor will show up once and again...I'm going to say female Rudy-Throated but I'll leave the positive ID to somebody else!

Welcome from Whitehall,
Matt

Can't see much to work with on this bird. Heavy bill and apparently green head would tend toward Ruby-throated. Not sure what is going on with the side of the face and upper throat. Not a typical way for the gorget to molt by any means.

Has to be Ruby-throated. I was taken with the amount of rufous on the sides. The Williamson guide (Hummers of NA) states that females often have tawny patches on the flanks so apparently this is a common feature. Never seen one in CA, although there is a nice male in Nevada County right now.

Would sure be interested in the reasoning for "classic Ruby-throated" and "has to be Ruby-throated". I concur in the identification, but am confused by the descriptors.

Would sure be interested in the reasoning for "classic Ruby-throated" and "has to be Ruby-throated". I concur in the identification, but am confused by the descriptors.

Well, there's nothing wrong with RTHU. The flank and throat color combo eliminates all Selasphorus hummers, the vagrant Calype (Anna's) and Green Violetear. Bill shape and colors also excludes the eastern Amazilias and mango. Black-chinned is, of course, very similar to RTHU. The only characteristic that shows well here is the beak, which is fairly short and absolutely straight. BCHUs is longer and slightly decruved. Were it sitting you could probably see the emerald crown as well as the short and thin wings.

Most of the hummingbird queries on this forum are from people who know they're seeing hummingbirds but they're not sure which type. These people are generally not picking out strange hummers out of their feeder flock. PA has a good handful of Selasphorus sps records, several definite Rufous records, and even Calliope has made the list. All I'm saying is northeast hummers are going to Ruby-throateds unless proven otherwise.

Could not agree more, but the way that throat is developing and the color on the side is not classic. It is within norms, but hardly what you would see in any field guide.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back