• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gull, California, USA (1 Viewer)

djleahy

I'll freely admit a lack of cluefulness with gulls. This guy has a strongly streaked head and a fairly light gray mantle, which makes me think of Herring Gull, but the gray legs and the black-tipped beak throw me. I think I need more gull reference material with more details about sub-adults. In the meanwhile, I'd greatly appreciate your input!

Pics taken on the ocean beach at Seacliff State Park, Aptos, California, today (August 30, 2008).

Attachments

• IMG_9606.jpg
    IMG_9606.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_9607.jpg
    IMG_9607.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_9609.jpg
    IMG_9609.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 72
Hi Dave.

The dark eye, billshape and bluish tone to the knees + structure say´s California Gull - probably a third cycle.

JanJ

Thanks all, especially Jan of course, who led the charge. I've avoided sub-adult gulls for the first few years of my birding, but I'm beginning to believe that they might not be as impenetrable as I first thought. I will need better reference material, though.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back