• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

China observations (1 Viewer)

Via Terry and Birding Beijing FB page -

1,020 (!) WHITE-NAPED CRANES at Miyun today. Plus 10 GREAT BUSTARDS...! (thanks to Li Ming for the information).

Wow!

Evenin' all

Leg-flagged Great Knot (1 of 13 birds in the flock) at Nanhui today - Kevin has pics I hope he'll be posting but it was an orange flag on upper right leg with metal ring (unreadable at the observation distance) on lower left...anyone care to remind I wherebe that be from?

Sanjiangang is gone and Nanhui isn't far behind...the joys of birding in and around a big city :0(

Cheers anyway
McM

Evenin' all

Leg-flagged Great Knot (1 of 13 birds in the flock) at Nanhui today - Kevin has pics I hope he'll be posting but it was an orange flag on upper right leg with metal ring (unreadable at the observation distance) on lower left...anyone care to remind I wherebe that be from?

Sanjiangang is gone and Nanhui isn't far behind...the joys of birding in and around a big city :0(

Cheers anyway
McM

The pics are here :

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2689759&postcount=247

Swift response from the flyway team allows me to complete the story:

This bird was flagged in Victoria (Australia), approximate co-ordinates
38deg 0min S, 145deg 0min E, which uses the flag combination Orange.

The resighting was a distance of approximately 8036 km, with a bearing
of 339 degrees, from the marking location.

No way to know year of flagging I guess but always a thrill to think about the distances these birds cover...Oz to Siberia and back annually...pretty cool...

cheers
McM

One from last Sunday's trip to Nanhui...

Safe to say an "interesting" juxtaposition of species...

Attachments

• 0979_Naumann's Thrush & Little Ringed Plover.jpg
    0979_Naumann's Thrush & Little Ringed Plover.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 57
Took a quick walk in Century Park in Pudong late this afternoon after arriving in China, and picked up one lifer and one China tick at the same time: I found a mixed flock of Bohemian and Japanese waxwings.

The rest of what I saw was fairly common: one dusky and many pale thrushes, a flock of vinous-throated parrotbills, and then the usual common species in the park (azure-winged magpie, blackbird, light-vented bubul, red-billed starlings, white wagtail, spotted and turtle doves, little grebe and moorhen).

Last edited:
today two male Japanese Reed Buntings in br plumage at the same spot where Mark and I saw them in mid-Apr last year.
and one Pectoral Sandpiper near the pond where it was recorded for the first time in Jiangsu Province in Apr,2011.

One Ruff at Nanhui this evening was, I think, China bird #400 for me...399 being Bohemian Waxwing earlier in the day...sometimes the birds do these things to show us whose boss...

Attachments

• IMG_2013-04-07_0505_Ruff_Nanhui.jpg
    IMG_2013-04-07_0505_Ruff_Nanhui.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Pectoral Sand left and some other birds passed Rudong such as 1 Greater Short-toed Lark,1 Osprey,6 OPratincole,1 DPelican and 1 BFSpoonbill.

Interesting link

I don't know if it was mentioned somewhere else, but I've been enjoying this blog (link thanks to Terry at Birding Beijing). It's fun to see what these ringers are seeing in Beidaihe.

(I've even gone back and read some of last year's entries with no English, using the help of Google translate - lots of fun. One puzzle I'll have to work on later is figuring out what exactly are "brown singers" |:$|)

Yangshan Dao today

Visited Yangshan Dao this morning. Actually it was very quiet but two pretty good birds were present. Both on the upper end of the "magic garbage station valley".

Rufous-faced warbler, 2
Brown-eared bulbul, 1 (China tick for me!)

/jocko

Attachments

• DSC_4293.jpg
    DSC_4293.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 43
  • rfw1.jpg
    rfw1.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 43
  • rfw2.jpg
    rfw2.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 44
Double "GRRRR" now I see the pics!!

Cheers
MM

Visited Yangshan Dao this morning. Actually it was very quiet but two pretty good birds were present. Both on the upper end of the "magic garbage station valley".

Rufous-faced warbler, 2
Brown-eared bulbul, 1 (China tick for me!)

/jocko

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back