• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdguides photos (1 Viewer)

James Thomas

Didn't know where to post this, if Birguides had a forum I'd put it there.

Anyway, do you put pictures up, have a look on there, put thumbs up and leave comments?

I put pictures up because I often use the bank of photos to help on some id's especially where species have a wide plumage range and think anything that adds to this is worthwhile. For this find it easier to use than the opus (sorry!) and better because I like having loads of pictures to run through. I also put up some of my nicer pictures because I like looking at nice pictures of birds and hope others do.

I sometimes disagree with picture of the week, but thats down to personal preference, I don't think I've seen one I wouldn't have been delighted with.

What baffles me is the way that some pictures seem to get a hugely positive response without (in my view) merit. Bearing in mind that you can filter a search to include photos with comments only, I think the intention is there for you to see the best pictures only be that for illustrative, artistic or other reasons.

To illustrate my puzzlement look at the 25 pictures of Gyr falcons, the latest picture is valuable in that it shows that a Gyr was there but is it really the 3rd best picture.

(If you are reading Maurice I really hope I don't offend, I'd have put the picture up )

What baffles me is the way that some pictures seem to get a hugely positive response without (in my view) merit. Bearing in mind that you can filter a search to include photos with comments only, I think the intention is there for you to see the best pictures only be that for illustrative, artistic or other reasons.

Not quite sure what you mean with this sentence.

The gallery in BF would be a better place to browse the pictures than OPUS, Jim, the database is primarily a written work, the pictures are there for simple illustration. There is a link on each Opus page to the gallery for the species.

Not looked at the Birdguides pages much at all and certainly don't want to annoy anyone by posting my shoddy work.

What baffles me is the way that some pictures seem to get a hugely positive response without (in my view) merit.

Thats very true and i think it often has more to do with who took the picture,the same people always get lots of comments often deservedly to be fair but not always also the subject rather than the quality of the image often attracts comments.

The one good thing in birdguides is that you can indicate your like for a particular photo without having post comments or reveal who you are - you simply tick the box and that's it. no one knows who is voting for who so there is no real cliques.

On the minus side there does not seem to be any limit on the number of post you can make, sometimes you see loads of continues posts by the same person, often with the same subject (and often all of dubious quality to say the least).
Sometimes you can post a shot and within an hour it is several pages from the top and hardly anybody bothers to even look. There are some excellent shots posted but it can be very time consuming sorting out the wheat from the chaff.
Also the image size is not really big enough to show them off well.

LOL. One of my guilty pleasures is looking at the ridiculous OTT comments posted on here towards some pretty dodgy pics.. my favourites recently:

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/288180/ppuser/16749

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/275760/ppuser/16749

Not sure if it is a result of a ridiculous Clique, but it is like "The Emperor's new clothes"! out there..
Small twig?! It's a f**** branch, peekaboo?! Lovely Capture?!
I would have much more respect if just someone, once would say, "Shame it is slightly out of focus".

LOL. One of my guilty pleasures is looking at the ridiculous OTT comments posted on here towards some pretty dodgy pics.. my favourites recently:

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/288180/ppuser/16749

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/275760/ppuser/16749

Not sure if it is a result of a ridiculous Clique, but it is like "The Emperor's new clothes"! out there..
Small twig?! It's a f**** branch, peekaboo?! Lovely Capture?!
I would have much more respect if just someone, once would say, "Shame it is slightly out of focus".
At least they are better than anything you have posted in the Gallery ;););)
Joking aside, we look forward to some of your shots in the Gallery so you can show us how it is done :t:

At least they are better than anything you have posted in the Gallery ;););)
Joking aside, we look forward to some of your shots in the Gallery so you can show us how it is done :t:

Why change the subject? I'm talking about the quality of people's comments in the gallery. I would argue that some of the praise in there is like the deranged ramblings written in dogsh*t on a wall, by someone in a straightjacket. Now if you ask me if I could post better critique in the gallery, then I would certainly be up for the challenge, but I don't think people want to hear criticism!

Why change the subject? I'm talking about the quality of people's comments in the gallery. I would argue that some of the praise in there is like the deranged ramblings written in dogsh*t on a wall, by someone in a straightjacket. Now if you ask me if I could post better critique in the gallery, then I would certainly be up for the challenge, but I don't think people want to hear criticism!
Forgive me but I am now wondering how someone in a straightjacket can write on a wall and, assuming they are in a cell, why a dog is in there with them. Sorry to be critical but I'm just interested.

Ron

Scousemouse, all you have done in your short time on BF is make negative comments about nearly everything you have seen and posted on.

How is that for criticicm?

Well, is disagreeing with someone, or having a different opinion being negative? If so, then it is fair criticicm, at least for a small number of my posts.

Of course not - that is why there is a photo critique section on birdforum, if they wanted critique they would post in there.

So what you're saying is, instead of there being a "comments" field with the gallery pics, it should really say "Praise / Adulation".

So what you're saying is, instead of there being a "comments" field with the gallery pics, it should really say "Praise / Adulation".
What I am saying is what the heck has the birdforum gallery got to do with a thread about photos on birdguides.
If you want to discuss the bird forum gallery I suggest you start a thread on the subject instead of "changing the subject" mid way through a thread :t:

What I am saying is what the heck has the birdforum gallery got to do with a thread about photos on birdguides.
If you want to discuss the bird forum gallery I suggest you start a thread on the subject instead of "changing the subject" mid way through a thread :t:

Well, you were more than happy to talk about the gallery in post 7?
Talking of which, I'm off to adulate someone's pics lol

Good grief, with thread drfits like these I'm glad the girlfriend doesn't read BF.

Anyway, if it's a species I'm not ever so familiar with I do use the BG to get my eye in for certain birds, especially as the sheer number of submissions mean you've a chance of seeing the bird from all angles.
Nice too to see record shots of local rarities, and if work is slow a brief browse of the galleries for the WOW shots passes the time.

Apparently I have six submissions there, an albino blackbird, a record shot of a GND, and such like, and I'm guilty of putting up one of the zillions of Lincs Steppe Grey Shrike photographs.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back