• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to see Leach's Petrel (1 Viewer)

Still not a lot happening. I've had 9 Bonxie sighting, but I think its 3 birds circulating. Good day for ducks though. Goosander being the highlight and the is Black-throatd Diver out on the sea

Just back from Hilbre, 3 Leach's Petrels, 1-2 Bonxie, 1 Manx Shearwater, a few Arctic Skuas, 3 Fulmar, Red throated Divers.

Hi jane , i hope you don't mind me gatecrashing your thread with a couple of noobish seawatching questions.
If you don't mind then here goes
Does sooty shearwaters ever dive from the air?
If you see a scoter flapping with it's head pointing up is it definately a velvet scoter? , i couldnt be sure if its secondaries were pale enough due to wind,waves and duration of viewing.
This wasn't local btw it was whilst on holiday in s.wales

ok and thanks v.much jane
i'm still convinced i originally got on a sooty and then must have lost it and then just caught a juv gannet diving , really dont want to untick it lol , a question mark will remain til i get a better one though.
I was thinking a fem. for velv scot but tbh it wasn't all that far out and i didn't notice any paleness on secondaries so that one goes down as a mis-viewed common.
Thanks again for your time.

The 1st few petrels of the season are out there.... not too windy, but its been steady Westerlies for 3 days now.. and as usual it worked.

Magic seaweed

Now corrected slightly... an looking a little less exciting - though still it will put birds into the Irish sea....

and Monday's non-tide (they advance by about 45mis a day)

Attachments

• wind forecasts1.jpg
    wind forecasts1.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 110
  • tide.jpg
    tide.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
and the longer terms is still showing a good string of lows

Shipping Forecast - Issued: 0405 UTC Fri 13 Sep

Wind North or northwest 4 or 5, increasing 6 at times.
Sea State Slight or moderate.
Weather Rain or showers, fog patches.
Visibility Moderate or good, occasionally very poor.

Attachments

• long term 1.jpg
    long term 1.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 114
  • long term 2.jpg
    long term 2.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 109
How close in do the Leach's Petrels, Skuas and other sea birds come in?

Hiya - hope you are fine :)

I only have one experience on the Wirral with those dark fairies - I shared a bus stop shelter with one whilst sheltering from a vicious squall hitting New Brighton - in approx 1978.

If we get strong south westerlies down here in Nov- Jan ish then Leach's are pretty much guaranteed during or just before/after the strongest blows - like prolonged bf7+. They come very close inshore - close to the beaches then.

I must mention how much I enjoy reading Jane's fabulous contributions.

Last edited:
So To see Leach's Petrels what do I do and when do i do it and where do i do it? i have never seen a Petrel before and have very little idea of what happens in this situation so all advise is greatly appreciated.

Hi

I am fine, hope you are good too!

Sounds like a very special encounter indeed. I was born in 1978 so 2 special things happened in that year :p

Hiya - hope you are fine :)

I only have one experience on the Wirral with those dark fairies - I shared a bus stop shelter with one whilst sheltering from a vicious squall hitting New Brighton - in approx 1978.

If we get strong south westerlies down here in Nov- Jan ish then Leach's are pretty much guaranteed during or just before/after the strongest blows - like prolonged bf7+. They come very close inshore - close to the beaches then.

I must mention how much I enjoy reading Jane's fabulous contributions.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back