• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Godwits raised in captivity (1 Viewer)

Ah, beneficial egg theft!

Years ago, I was at a talk by Jane Goodall, and she was describing how a species of bird had been saved from extinction. I don't remember its name, but I do remember that there was only one pair of them left. The people trying to save it took the eggs from the nest and raised them artificially, then, once they were at a certain point, put them back in the nest. I believe the point was to make sure they learned the proper songs and behaviors? They then provided plenty of additional food to help the poor, overworked parents raising a double clutch, and all the babies fledged. I know black robins were originally helped by transferring their first clutch of eggs to another species' nests to be raised.

(Would anyone happen to know what bird that was? Google isn't being very helpful. I found an article on black robins, which were apparently down to a single pair at one point, but it's locked behind account sign-up and wasn't talking about that anyway.)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back