• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do low magnification, high FOV binoculars exist? (1 Viewer)

Josh Exmoor

I was just curious if anyone makes a usable binocular with a very large FOV with lower magnification. Say, something like 5x with 600+ft @ 1000yards. There are times where I find myself scanning open sky for migrating birds (raptors, etc) where being able to cover a lot of sky and actually detect even a little dot would be helpful, but I haven't found anything lower power than 6X and even those don't have a huge FOV difference from 8x.

I have the Bushnell 4x21, actually 3.5x21, same as 4x30. Fixed focus.
Measured field 18.5 degrees.

Also 4x22 Dowling and Rowe independent eyepiece focus, measured field 16.5 degrees. Nice.

Foton 5x25 measured field just over 12 degrees. Very nice.

Bushnell 5x25, actually 4.4x25. Can't remember but about 12 or 13 degrees. Nice.

7x35 Minolta EWA Standard MK. 11.05 degrees measured. Nice.

6x24 Russian. 12 degrees. Nice.
6x24 Amplivid similar. nice, a bit dim.

Last edited:
I wonder if Foton mentioned by Binastro is the same as the vision King, under a different name, so typical today.

A.W.

I was just curious if anyone makes a usable binocular with a very large FOV with lower magnification. Say, something like 5x with 600+ft @ 1000yards...

I almost bought the Miyauchi 5x32 Binon back when they were available new, but I talked myself out of it. I think they are probably very hard to obtain on the used market, but you might enjoy looking at this model and its specs on-line.

--AP

David,

Thanks for the links, you are right it is a different glass, FOV quite a bit different too. 15.8 degrees FOV for the Vision King., Even if only 10 degrees is normal (no severe distortion), could be fun for the night sky.

Andy W.

Foton

dries 1,
Foton was a Russian brand as far as I know.
Gijs van Ginkel

Thanks, according to Binastro they (Foton)are very nice. The Visionking were all over e..y at one time, at one time they could be had for $60, then prices started to climb, other manufacturers also cloned it.

Andy W.

Bresser SWA 7x32 700ft at 1000 yards claimed. Actually 680ft at 1000 yards. 2008.
'Fully coating'. No it isn't.
'Brilliant, border-sharp images'. No they aren't.

Also in 8.5x42 and 10x50. Several brand names including Vixen Ascot.
They have hybrid mirror prisms.
They give me a headache, but some seem O.K. with them.

Beecher Mirage 4.5x25 14 degrees.
Beecher Mirage 5.5x25 11 degrees.

ZOMZ Kronos 6x30 claimed 12.5 degrees, probably 12 degrees.
Unfortunately mechanically shoddy, otherwise it would be most useful.

Trinovid 6x24 11.5 degrees I think.

Karlstein 6x25 Micro binocular 11 degrees. A lot of pincushion distortion. Fits in large pocket

Minolta 7x35 Standard MK Extra Wide Angle. 578ft at 1000 yards claimed. 578 ft measured.

There are several Japanese 7x35s marked 11 degrees to 13 degrees. Usually they measure 1 degree less. Most are heavier than the Minolta 7x35 Standard MK EWA, which is exactly as stated. 11.05 degrees or 578ft measured.
Weighs about 27 oz.

Some “featherlight” 7x35 are a bit lighter, but I agree many are heavier, my faves are 37oz. Lovely views though.

Peter

I almost bought the Miyauchi 5x32 Binon back when they were available new, but I talked myself out of it. I think they are probably very hard to obtain on the used market, but you might enjoy looking at this model and its specs on-line.

--AP

I had the miyauchis, and they were very good, very well made;
but replace them with the lower mag, higher FOV Vixen 2.1x42s
also, I think, made by miyauchi
Vixens are fun optics for the night sky, although ?? for birding

edj

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the responses. I figured I was missing something. I guess I should've known to go poking over at Cloudy Nights. Those VisionKings look pretty interesting. Tempting, but I'm not thrilled about ordering something that ships from China if I turn out to not like them or get a lemon.

It depends on how much one is willing to lose if it turns out not to be suitable.
I would buy a Vision King 5x25 if easily available here.

The other options are mostly older binoculars, or expensive ones.

I immediately get the Foton 5x25 if I need a 12 degree plus, 650 ft FOV.
My sample is very sharp with very good optics and gives beautiful central images although not a phase coated binocular.
It is restful to use.
The objectives are oversize at 30mm, although the exit pupil is 5mm.
This means that the focal length is longer and maybe has other benefits.
The only downside is that it still smells odd 18 years from new. Perhaps this will get better after another 18 years.

If I need a wider field I get the 4x22 Dowling and Rowe.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back