• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Makassar vicinity, Indonesia, May 2018 (1 Viewer)

julienl

Hey everyone,

These birds where seen in May, north of Makassar.

1) Juv Black Crowned of Rufous Night Heron ? Orangish eye = Black Crown ?

2) Glossy Swiftlet ?

3-4) Female Blue Eared or Common Kingfisher ?

5) I am confused with this one. It was seen with a female Lesueur's Triller and seems to show grey rump which clearly indicates Lesueur's. But it has white on tertials right (which it shouldn't) ?

Thanks !

Attachments

• IMG_32632.jpg
    IMG_32632.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_33512.jpg
    IMG_33512.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_34292.jpg
    IMG_34292.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_34302.jpg
    IMG_34302.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_34682.jpg
    IMG_34682.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 17
White-fringed tertials are fine for Lesueur's.
(2) is Glossy Swiftlet.
The kingfisher is more likely to be Common, which looks extremely similar to Blue-eared on Sulawesi. But as the latter is uncommon, more of a forest bird and dark orange below I would go for Common.

It's either a Sulawesi Triller (= White Rumped Triller) or a Lesueur's Triller (White Shoudler Triller).

I would say Lesueur's Triller but the white on tertials bother me.

As I said, no books here, Lesueur's must be a split since I was there and have no idea what it refers to.

A

Last edited:
As I said, no books here, Lesueur's must be a split since I was there and have no idea what it refers to.

A

Lesueur's Triller = White Shouldered Triller = lalage sueurii ("Birds of the Indonesian Archipelago - Lynx 2016)

White-fringed tertials are fine for Lesueur's.
(2) is Glossy Swiftlet.
The kingfisher is more likely to be Common, which looks extremely similar to Blue-eared on Sulawesi. But as the latter is uncommon, more of a forest bird and dark orange below I would go for Common.

Lesueur's it is then ! For the Kingfisher, if it is not possible to make a positive ID, I'll stick with Common, since Blue Eared would be a lifer.

Lesueur's Triller = White Shouldered Triller = lalage sueurii ("Birds of the Indonesian Archipelago - Lynx 2016)

Lesueur's it is then ! For the Kingfisher, if it is not possible to make a positive ID, I'll stick with Common, since Blue Eared would be a lifer.

It's not Common although, there is a race of Common on Flores that looks like Blue-eared.

A

It's not Common, no red ear patch although, there is a race of Common on Flores that looks like Blue-eared.

A

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back