• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to identify the Blue-throated Flycatcher and Hill Blue Flycatcher? (1 Viewer)

metroplex

Wei Qian
It looks like the same between Blue-throated Flycatcher's subspecies glaucicomans (Cyornis rubeculoides glaucicomans) and Hill Blue Flycatcher(Cyornis banyumas). How to distinguish them?

thanks

Wei

Hi Wei,

A very good question! I actually came across a male cyornis in central Thailand in February (wintering grounds of glaucicomans, banyumas resident) that I was unsure about, despite good views I find them unidentifable on field views alone, however, the songs of the two are noticeably different. My bird proved unresponsive to glaucicomans song but reacted strongly to the song of banyumas. An easy solution to a complex group.

Hi James,

Thanks a lot. I totally agree with you. The song is one of the most important identification solutions. And someone told me the differences are the legs and bellies. glaucicomans's leg is black-brown as the banyumas' leg is pink. Another characteristic is that the glaucicomans has only orange breast with white belly, but banyumas' breast and belly side are all orange. How do you think with this opinion?

Hi Wei,

I agree that the leg colour is a good indicator, especially as some banyumas have very pale pink legs. However, in the darkness of the forest in poor light this feature isn't too noticeable, especially if the bird is some distance away, but still the best field mark on a silent bird.

The underpart colouration I struggle to trust, I only use this feature as an indicator as opposed to a distinctive field mark. When I last observed glaucicomans in Sichuan I noticed some varibility on this feature, 2 birds had quite extensive orange underparts reaching to the belly.

The colour leg can just about be seen on this photo:
http://www.orientalbirdimages.org/s...D=2642&Bird_Image_ID=9258&Bird_Family_ID=&p=5

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back