Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Finch of some sort - Panama

Old Saturday 13th April 2019, 21:15   #1
HelenB
Opus Editor and Expat from Cumbria

Finch of some sort - Panama

Visited the gardens of the Biomuseo in Panama City on 29th March. I'm trying to get an ID on this finch type bird. We saw Saffron Finch there, but I'm thinking this is a different species.

TIA

HelenB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0920ed.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	337.6 KB
ID:	692308  

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 14th April 2019, 11:39   #2
andyadcock

Seedeater species I think.
Old Sunday 14th April 2019, 15:08   #3
THE_FERN

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Seedeater species I think.
Suggest female slate-coloured seedeater. The photo looks a bit yellow, but this is probably due to reflected light [bird is tawny coloured]. Colour of the bill cutting edges very similar to this:

http://avesphoto.com/website/WD/species/SDESLC-3.htm

Don't think there are other options amongst the seedeaters for this massive / shape of bill
Old Monday 15th April 2019, 22:42   #4
HelenB

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_FERN View Post
Suggest female slate-coloured seedeater. The photo looks a bit yellow, but this is probably due to reflected light [bird is tawny coloured]. Colour of the bill cutting edges very similar to this:

http://avesphoto.com/website/WD/species/SDESLC-3.htm

Don't think there are other options amongst the seedeaters for this massive / shape of bill

Thank you for your reply - I didn't get a notification from BirdForum about your reply, or I would have thanked you sooner. We only have one photo of this species in BirdForum and it's the male!

Old Friday 19th April 2019, 00:43   #5
pbjosh

I would caution against assuming that you can identify a female Sporophila from one photo. Slate-colored Seedeater is one of the rarest / hardest Sporophila and a record from Biomuseo would be exceptional though of course not impossible. I personally would leave it as a Sporophila sp and I personally think something like Yellow-bellied SE is far more likely. I’ve not looked in fantastic detail at the photo, I don’t proclaim to be an expert on the group, and it may well be Slate-colored. But I would want to see a very knowledgeable and detailed argument to ID a female of that species from one photo at a highly unexpected location.
Old Saturday 20th April 2019, 03:02   #6
HelenB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
I would caution against assuming that you can identify a female Sporophila from one photo. Slate-colored Seedeater is one of the rarest / hardest Sporophila and a record from Biomuseo would be exceptional though of course not impossible. I personally would leave it as a Sporophila sp and I personally think something like Yellow-bellied SE is far more likely. Ive not looked in fantastic detail at the photo, I dont proclaim to be an expert on the group, and it may well be Slate-colored. But I would want to see a very knowledgeable and detailed argument to ID a female of that species from one photo at a highly unexpected location.
Thanks for your comments. Im waiting on word from the guide we had on our trip, as he wasn't with us that day, but I think it is a good idea to go with Sporophila sp when I upload my list to eBird.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: