• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loxia pytyopsittacus? Baltic Coast NW Poland 25.10.2020 (1 Viewer)

Does sound good to me as well. I tried to produce a spectrogram, not easy from this recording but shows the right frequency and with a little phantasy the right shape...

Attachments

• ParrotX_Poland.jpg
    ParrotX_Poland.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 28
All I can hear is a lot of ferocious storm noise with some faint 'jip' sounds in the background - I don't think I'd be claiming anything from this! :eek!:

In Poland this species is subject to verification by the faunistic commission. If you were on such a commission you would accept this voice as pine?

I think it's worth reporting to your rare bird committee. What can happen, if they don't accept it, you at least tried? It would be good to add as much of the recording as possible in the best possible quality. Did you originally record in WAV? If not I would highly recommend to do so in the future because much more can be done with WAVs compared to MP3s...

What does "they" mean? I read it as it is a single individual. Does it have a different meaning? I often use Google translator, forgive me, although I know English in a communicative way.

What does "one" mean? I read it as it is a single individual. Does it have a different meaning? I often use Google translator, forgive me, although I know English in a communicative way.

"They" in this case refers to the rarity committee, "one" to the species (Parrot Crossbill), i.e. "sound like [a Parrot Crossbill] to me". The latter is an affirmative statement that only makes sense in conjunction with your own initial post. The emphasis is on the species ID, not on the number of individuals.

Last edited:
"They" in this case refers to the rarity committee, "one" to the species (Parrot Crossbill), i.e. "sound like [a Parrot Crossbill] to me". The latter is an affirmative statement that only makes sense in conjunction with your own initial post. The emphasis is on the species ID, not on the number of individuals.

Thank you for your explanation. I have a mathematician's mind and often cannot understand different sentences

When submitting the record to the rarities committee, together with the full sound recording (in WAV, as said above - avoid MP3 at all costs!) you could also add a brief discussion of why you think this is a Parrot Crossbill call (why does it fall outside of Common Crossbill call variation, etc), together with an analysis of the sonogram (always confronting it with the default species, Common Crossbill). These will make for a more robust submission.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back