• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seicercus warbler, Khao Yai NP, Thailand (1 Viewer)

BKKBen

Hi all,

Just looking to see whether this is a Plain-tailed Warbler. Though not visible from these pics, it appeared to have a greyish crown.

Seen near the top of Khao Khieo (1291m) at Khao Yai NP, Thailand.

Thanks,
Ben.

Attachments

• DSCF9981 - Copy.jpg
    DSCF9981 - Copy.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 59
I think we'd need to see more than this for an ID, Whistler's must also a possibility?

A

Not in Thailand - its range extends no further than Myanmar.

According to the checklist, the other possibility here is Marten's. This particular bird has very little in the way of a lateral crown stripe and has a shortish bill with an apparent dark ridge on the upper mandible, which are better for Alstrom's. I wouldn't like to put money on it though - it's best to hear these things call.

Last edited:
I think we'd need to see more than this for an ID, Whistler's must also a possibility?

A

Whistler's does not occur in Thailand Andy.

Alstrom's (Plain-tailed) is by far the most numerous seicercus at KY, but Marten's also occurs there. The angle of the shot is not very helpful beyond seicercus sp IMO.

Voice is by far the most reliable means of separation.

Grahame

Post crossed with Andy's. Re bill is difficult to judge size/length from this angle but surely its soror that has the latest bill?

Last edited:
Whistler's does not occur in Thailand Andy.

Alstrom's (Plain-tailed) is by far the most numerous seicercus at KY, but Marten's also occurs there. The angle of the shot is not very helpful beyond seicercus sp IMO.

Voice is by far the most reliable means of separation.

Grahame

Post crossed with Andy's. Re bill is difficult to judge size/length from this angle but surely its soror that has the latest bill?

Robson state 'SE Asia Common' for Whistler's, must be interpreting that rong?

A

Re bill is difficult to judge size/length from this angle but surely its soror that has the latest bill?

I was looking at some online images and it seemed to me that Marten's has a longer bill. Maybe it was this image that influenced me most:

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=1854

Bill length seems to vary considerably, so we'd better discount it. The dark ridge on the upper mandible of Alstrom's seems to be a consistent feature, though.

Ben, with these birds it’s definitely good to get familiar with the calls (I store them on my iPhone for reference in the field, and carry small sound recorder). This is notoriously one of the most tricky groups to ID on plumage that you will regularly encounter in Thailand.

Best wishes,

Dave

Last edited:
Ben, with the birds it’s definay good to get familiar with the calls (I store them on my iPhone for reference in the field, and carry small sound recorder). This is notoriously one of the most tricky groups to ID on plumage that you will regularly encounter in Thailand.

Best wishes,

Dave

Craig Robson gave me that same advice on this group, many years ago when they had just been split.

A

Ben, with these birds it’s definitely good to get familiar with the calls (I store them on my iPhone for reference in the field, and carry small sound recorder). This is notoriously one of the most tricky groups to ID on plumage that you will regularly encounter in Thailand.

Best wishes,

Dave

Thanks, Dave.

I have started using the Aves Vox app, and xeno-canto, but I didn't have these species on my phone at the time; they are now! haha

Cheers,
Ben.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back