• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Grouse in Peak District (1 Viewer)

sanderbot

Hello,

I am Sander Bot, a bird watcher from Holland. Next week, August 10-18, I will visit a friend in Sheffield. It would be nice to combine this visit with a search for Red Grouse, and I heard they occur in the Peak District. Is anybody willing to share its knowledge in how I could find one next week? Or is it very hard to see one in August?
My email is [email protected].

Thanks a lot in advance for any info,

Sander

You can see Red Grouse in August in the Peak District. Your best bet is to probably drive from Sheffield on the A57 to Glossop (perhaps stopping at Derwent Reservoir on route). You probably will see some from the road but if not you should find a clear parking space and follow a marked footpath into the moors. The shooting season starts on 12th August so maybe best to go before then to avoid bumping into hunters. However, you can still see them after this and they are often flushed out by these shooting parties.

Another good spot for Grouse is the area above the Goyt Valley around the Cat and Fiddle Pub on the Buxton-Macclesfield road as they often sit near to the side of the road. They can though be found in any area of heather and although unpredictable are regularly seen.

Hope this helps,

Oliver

Another good spot for Grouse is the area above the Goyt Valley around the Cat and Fiddle Pub on the Buxton-Macclesfield road as they often sit near to the side of the road. They can though be found in any area of heather and although unpredictable are regularly seen.

Hope this helps,

Oliver

Another good spot nearby is the Buxton-Congleton Road (A54) at Danebower Quarries. You can park in the layby and view from there or walk along the footpath to get closer views.

CB

Sander, I live close to Sheffield in Glossop. If you want to meet up with me I can take you to see so many Red Grouse that you'll scream! The moors around me are packed full of them. Send me a private message if you're interested.

Wow, this helps a lot, thank you all!!
With this information I should fine one.... or more.
Clearly more easy to see a Red Grouse in Peak District than seeing a Black Grouse in Holland!

Sander

Sander, I live close to Sheffield in Glossop. If you want to meet up with me I can take you to see so many Red Grouse that you'll scream! The moors around me are packed full of them. Send me a private message if you're interested.

Hi Tom appreciate that this is a very old thread but wonder if you could give me some tips as Im staying in glossop next week and looking at doing some grouse photography. Thanks Becca

Other side of the Peaks from Glossop but Stanage Edge, particularly around Stanage Pole, is a location I've regularly had very close views of Red Grouse, it's so accessible they perhaps see more people there, are less wary than in the 'wilder' parts.
Next week might be a little early for Ring Ouzel there, but you never know...

Hello all,

I'm visiting my brother in Somercotes next week and wondering how far I'd have to go to have a chance of Red Grouse?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Hello all,

I'm visiting my brother in Somercotes next week and wondering how far I'd have to go to have a chance of Red Grouse?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Would suggest the nearest site is Beeley Triangle/ East Moors to the West of Chesterfield Chris. The triangle may be best as there are 'places' for parking therefore allowing you to sit in the car and scan the moors to the north, towards Harland Edge (the rocky outcrop). You may also see them within the actual triangle. (formed by the triangulation of roads)

Would suggest the nearest site is Beeley Triangle/ East Moors to the West of Chesterfield Chris. The triangle may be best as there are 'places' for parking therefore allowing you to sit in the car and scan the moors to the north, towards Harland Edge (the rocky outcrop). You may also see them within the actual triangle. (formed by the triangulation of roads)

Many thanks Papa 10, that's really appreciated! Will let you know how I get on!

Chris

All the recommendations for moorland sites have Red Grouse. James_Owen mentions Ring Ouzel - I think the Goyt Valley near Buxton is the place for those...

...That's off the A5004 marked to Long Hill out of Buxton then eventually sign posted for Goyt Valley (only inconspicuous signage) forking left several miles out of town.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back