• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flocks of Curlews (1 Viewer)

o_carr

Just asking about the habits of curlews,
Over the past few days I've been watching a flock of about 50 curlews, here in swaledale.
I'm new to birding so don't know much about their habits. I'm just wondering if this is normal at this time of year, and what the explanation for it is?
Thanks you!

flocks at this time of the year will be mainly failed and non breeders and they will now be being joined by young of the year and their parents before they leave for winter quarters. Yes for many waders spring/summer is over already.

Agree with TP they may be non breeders or having finished breeding they are going to softer areas. I our area,just a bit South of Swaledal (,Nidderdale) birds are still on their breeding patches.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back