• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

D200 and Sigma lenses (1 Viewer)

Keith Reeder

Watch the birdie...
Sigma have already acknowledged that their HSM lenses will need rechipping/firmware upgrade to be 100% compatible with the D200.

Now they've identified a problem which can result in improper exposure on the D200 with some of their lenses too.

Among the lenses affected are:

Fixed Focal Length Lenses
28mm F1.8 DG ASPHERICAL RF

Zoom Lenses
20-40mm F2.8 EX DG ASPHERICAL
24-70mm F2.8 EX DG MACRO
24-70mm F2.8 EX ASPHERICAL DF
28-70mm F2.8 EX DG
28-105mm F2.8-4 DG
28-105mm F2.8-4 ASPHERICAL

These will also need an upgrade (rechipping again?) performed at one of their Official service centres.

Last edited:
Here was Sigma's response to me -

As we have only just been informed of this issue the circuits are not yet available. We expect to receive them in the next few weeks. I would suggest you purchase the camera then by that time we should have the circuits available. We would need to see the receipt for your camera and lens. If your lens is under waranty we will carry out the service free of charge or:

The cost will be either one of the following
1: £5.00 per lens if you have proof of purchase for the lens from new which is to cover return p&p

2: £33.99 per lens if you have no proof of purchase which is to cover the cost of the rechipping

You can either enclose a cheque payable to: Sigma Imaging UK Ltd or we can telephone you for credit card details.

Please send your lens to the following address

Sigma Imaging UK

13 Little Mundells

Welwyn Garden City

Herts

AL7 1EW

I've just received the D200 and the 18-200 AFS/VR lens. I'll run an extensive test on the set. In the meanwhile to my great surprise - the Sigma 150/2.8 macro HSM focused quite fast (did not get stuck as reported) and even works with the Sigma 1.4 TC, as shown in the following picture. There's some hesitation before the camera focuses, but then it works OK. That "hesitation" should be fixed of course.
The picture BTW is the ED50 scope I received for testing with the CP8400 connected.
The set is ready for tomorrow's tests (hopefully it will not be raining too much).

Attachments

• 210-4.jpg
    210-4.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 193
Hi Yossi,

I'm really looking forward to hearing your views on the D200.

Incidentally, is there a reported "sticking" problem with the Sigma HSM lenses?

I thought the problem was that the AF button on the back of the camera won't work with the HSM lenses...

However: the latest news from Sigma is that the (my!!!) 80-400mm OS lens is also affected, even though it isn't HSM.

It does have an internal drive motor though - I wonder if that's the common ground?

Not a major problem to me really - so far I haven't so much as touched the AF button on the back of my D70, do I don't think I'll miss it on a D200 - but I'd still rather have a 100% compatible lens/camera combo, just on general principle...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back