• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Turdus ID (1 Viewer)

Still clearly a Song Thrush for me, the second and third frame are spot on for the common species.

The first shot is more tricky, but that's the way of single flightshots of this quality.

Peter

I'm fairly sure I'm seeing the pale marking on the side of the head in these photos, which should rule out BTT, right?

Just focussing on the wing it seems obvious to me that p9 is about the same length as p8/p7 (as can be seen in pic 2). This is in agreement with Song Thrush! BTT/RTT would have a shorter p9. As for the lighter remiges, in the compilation in post #20 this is just a reflection of sunlight in the BTT. Moreover the yellowish area of the underwing is larger than just the coverts which also would be better explained by the yellow bases of the remiges of ST.

Looks like a Song Thrush to me. Head is brown and matches well with the clear-cut Song Thrush at left in this montage.

Attachments

• Song Thrushes in flight.jpg
    Song Thrushes in flight.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 57
Just focussing on the wing it seems obvious to me that p9 is about the same length as p8/p7 (as can be seen in pic 2). This is in agreement with Song Thrush! BTT/RTT would have a shorter p9. As for the lighter remiges, in the compilation in post #20 this is just a reflection of sunlight in the BTT. Moreover the yellowish area of the underwing is larger than just the coverts which also would be better explained by the yellow bases of the remiges of ST.

Dear Roland,
I did not know about the p9 length, but looking on the photo of BTT, I cannot confirm it is really shorter. As to the yellowish underwings, BTT remiges also have yellowish bases, though with slightly distinct tinct and boundaries. Light is always tricky, but the tail proportion of our bird seems definitively like in BTT. The general appearance in the first picture tells the same. So, according to the Russian expert it is NOT a ST!

Looks like a Song Thrush to me. Head is brown and matches well with the clear-cut Song Thrush at left in this montage.

Thanks Mike,
Are you happy with this Mike?
Actually, does it matter so much?
I would like to give up!
Thanks to all of you for your very constructive comments ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back