• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Intro & a binocular question (1 Viewer)

Hi Im David..this is first time I have posted on a forum..anywhere!

I'm trying to get info on a pair a binoculars. My father passed away (was 85). I found a pair of Leitz WETZLAR 8X40B 128m/1000m TRINOVID Germany 731826 with a red dot by Germany on the right eyepiece. It's in a leather carrying case..very heavy feeling and appears to be almost brand new looking. (was in a drawer) Is it intended to be used for bird watching or night sky veiwing. I was going to give to goodwill but thought it may be of some value to someone who would appreciate it more. Any info or direction would be appreciated. Thanks !

Hi breckend and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the Binocular forum where they'll have the right information for you. I see you're subscribed to the thread so you should be able to find it easily.

Meantime, I hope you enjoy your time here with us.

breckend101, post 1,
The Leica Trinovid 8x40B with red circle and inscription Leitz was made by Leitz in Portugal, production of which started there from 1976 and in the years thereafter. Strange thing is that the production number you give in your post indicates a production year of around 1970. Anyhow, the binoculars from 1970-1977 did not have phase correction coatings and they did not have a dielectric mirror on that side of teh Uppendahl prism, that leaks light, since it has not a perfect reflection angle. Nevertheless it is a very nice binocular, beautiful shape and very convenient handling comfort. In the coming weeks a test report of Leitz Trinovid binoculars will appear on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor in The Netherlands, a report that I just yesterday supplied for publication.
If I would own such a Leitz 8x40B Irinovid I would keep it both for nostalgic reasons as well as for its family history and, moreover, it is still a very nice binocular to use.
Gijs van Ginkel

aHello David,

The binocular you described in near mint condition, is valuable: certainly, hundreds of dollars. Look at ebay auctions to get an idea of the value. I would keep it, in memory of your father, and use it to watch birds in your garden or local park.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Last edited:
Hi David and welcome.

The binocular is valuable both in money terms and for personal reasons.

If I had one I would definitely not give it to a charity shop, but might pass it over to family members to use.
I would probably first use it myself.

breckend101, post 1,
The Leica Trinovid 8x40B with red circle and inscription Leitz was made by Leitz in Portugal, production of which started there from 1976 and in the years thereafter. Strange thing is that the production number you give in your post indicates a production year of around 1970. Anyhow, the binoculars from 1970-1977 did not have phase correction coatings and they did not have a dielectric mirror on that side of teh Uppendahl prism, that leaks light, since it has not a perfect reflection angle. Nevertheless it is a very nice binocular, beautiful shape and very convenient handling comfort. In the coming weeks a test report of Leitz Trinovid binoculars will appear on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor in The Netherlands, a report that I just yesterday supplied for publication.
If I would own such a Leitz 8x40B Irinovid I would keep it both for nostalgic reasons as well as for its family history and, moreover, it is still a very nice binocular to use.
Gijs van Ginkel

Gijs
I think you are right about the year of production being 1970 and that the OP's reference to a red dot next to Germany means the dot just under the right-hand eyecup and not to the Red Dot near the hinge on Portuguese-made Trinnies. So I think his Trinovid was made in Germany.

My wife has a Black Dot Leitz Trinovid serial no 813368 bought in 1976 and it too has a red dot next to the word Germany near the right eyepiece.

Lee

On my Leitz 7x42 Trinovid BA the folding rubber eye cups screw on and off the oculars. In between the eye cups and the oculars are removable fitted sleeves protecting the threads on the oculars. The serial number of the binocular is on the right sleeve and there is a red dot above it.

Bob

The red dot on the eyepiece surround has been present on Leitz Trinovids from very early - if not the earliest - production. I’ve attached a photo from WorthPoint of 8x32 unit #626,312, and the dot is present. The serial number is the earliest Trinovid number I’ve seen.

I’ve also started a new thread in the Leica sub-forum which includes two tables outlining my preliminary observations about Trinovid details, numbering and some variations: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3788410#post3788410

John

Attachments

• #626,312 Red Dot on EP collar.jpg
    #626,312 Red Dot on EP collar.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back