• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Engage 12x50 questions (1 Viewer)

Bataleon

So, I was recently in the market for some 12x roofs because I had to retire my dad's old 12x40 porros and wanted something easier to toss in my pack. I tossed around a ton of different pairs from brands I've had good experience with in the past. Almost pulled the trigger on some Vortex dbacks but I ended up going with the Bushnell Engage 12x50 because they have all the bells and whistles you want in a roof and I found them at a great price. So far so good. I love the views and they have excellent lowlight performance for a higher mag bino. The only thing is, I can't find many reviews on them beyond the basic binocular banter you see on any decent pair. I'm wondering if anyone else has had any long term experience with these and what their feedback is beyond initial impressions. Anything I should know? These things almost seem too good to be true for the price. Just hoping I'm not in for frustration down the road.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Well, after using them in multiple conditions, both for day time birding and deer watching and at night for stargazing, I'm very pleased with these. They offer wonderful precision views, respectable FOV for their power and construction is rock solid. At first, I thought it was too good to be true to have ED glass and phase/dielectric at this price, but so far I'm duly impressed. They have none of the issues typically associated with cheaper roofs and give me a very crisp, flat, true color view of whatever I point them at. If I didn't know better I'd swear they were a much more expensive binocular. Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for an affordable but top notch roof.
d236ce0fe55b5c134ff197d6c935b175.jpg

I've tried them out. Nice for sure, but a little rich for my blood. I really wasn't looking to spend more than 350~. I save the big bucks for my astronomy pursuits haha. I think these are comparable.

I haven't gotten a roof tripod adapter yet. The ones I have are for porros and too wide to fit between the barrels. I'm mostly using these for handheld viewing anyway. I bust out the scope or Skymasters for real astronomy haha

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back