Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Another dumb converter question

Old Thursday 31st March 2005, 19:12   #1
u8myufo

Another dumb converter question

Hi guys, I have a c5050zoom, and for the first time since I have had the camera I stuck on the 2x converter. Right now what will give me best overall image quality with the converter? digital zoom in or out? I ask this because I took three of the same still shots and they all look the same basically apart from the vignetting when using converter, and when your composing the shot its like looking along the barrel of a cannon. Will I only see the result when cropping and enlarging a shot that has used the converter? Or am I totally confused here, please put me straight LOL
Thanks
Old Thursday 31st March 2005, 19:26   #2
birdman
Орнитолог-любитель

OK... I'm not an expert, but I can give a little general information on this.

I know that circumstances don't always allow, but best to avoid using digital zoom wherever possible, as this will produce the equivalent of "graining" in the final image.

Taking that to the next stage, then, I would expect that your 2x converter would magnify any "flaws" when using your digi-zoom.

I don't know the 5050, but I expect it has optical zoom... best to stick to this wherever possible.

If your subject is too far away, then you either have to live with the shortcomings of digi-zoom, as I do, or you will p'raps need to consider a full digiscoping set, about which I know absolutely zero!

Don't just take my word for it though, wait for a few more and better educated replies!

Last edited by birdman : Thursday 31st March 2005 at 19:29. Reason: Grammar!
Old Thursday 31st March 2005, 19:54   #3
stevo

If possible avoid using the digital zoom,all it does is enlarge the pixels in the center of the frame usually leading to a degradation of image quality,stick with the optical zoom.

Cheers Steve.
Old Friday 1st April 2005, 11:24   #4
Martamm

Quote:
Originally Posted by u8myufo
I ask this because I took three of the same still shots and they all look the same basically apart from the vignetting when using converter, and when your composing the shot its like looking along the barrel of a cannon. Will I only see the result when cropping and enlarging a shot that has used the converter? Or am I totally confused here, please put me straight LOL
Thanks
Usually one has to zoom in using the optical zoom to avoid vignetting, when using a teleconverter. If you experience vignetting even at full zoom, then the teleconverter isn't really suitable for the camera.

The digital zoom won't do anything useful.

Old Friday 1st April 2005, 15:38   #5
RAH

I agree with what others have said - don't use digital zoom - period. Make believe it doesn't exist. Forget about it. If you do want to crop a picture and resize it up, do so later in an image editor.

Rich
Old Friday 1st April 2005, 21:33   #6
u8myufo

Thanks Guys I will keep that in mind.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: