• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buying my first Scope (1 Viewer)

Richard36

Hi

I've just joined the forum and would appreciate some advice.

I would like to buy a scope and spend a maximum of about £120.

It will be used mainly for looking at the hills and birds from my bedroom window. It therefore doesn't need to be weatherproof or light (It will be used on a tripod).

I appreciate I won't get a brilliant scope for this price but don't think I can justify spending more. It will get used a lot as there is so much wildlife to see from my window as well as a range of hills.

I would happily buy second hand but would need some advice on what kind of magnification I should be aiming for and which brands to look at.

If I need to provide any further information please say so otherwise I look forward to receiving your replies.

Many thanks

Richard

Thanks for your reply.

I had seen the Opticron but was looking for some more suggestions/advice.

Since asking for the advice I have been looking on the web and the Celestron Ultima 80 seems a good buy at about £130 but there may be something better available.

Thanks

Richard

Jessops have their own branded scope.

Jessops 20-60x80 spotting scope.
Multi coated optics and waterproof. Also comes with it's own table top tripod.
Fits within your price range as it is £99.00

Don't know what it's like as I have never looked through one. There is a review on it though, on Jessops website.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back