• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Book needed as a present, Help please ! (1 Viewer)

Andy Thatcher

My mission impossible is to provide a new bird book for my fathers birthday which is coming up shortly but I am off working in Germany for a couple of weeks from tomorrow.

Now what makes it harder is that between us we have most of the books available !

Any suggestions gratefully accepted :h?:

Poyser & Pica

Andy Thatcher said:
My mission impossible is to provide a new bird book for my fathers birthday which is coming up shortly but I am off working in Germany for a couple of weeks from tomorrow.

Now what makes it harder is that between us we have most of the books available !

Any suggestions gratefully accepted :h?:

You didn't specify whether it should be an ID book or not, which might make the mission rather less impossible.
The Poyser & Pica species monographs are all excellent, and have been available at ridiculously low prices all over the place recently (there's a whole thread about this earlier). You could probably find something nice there. Ask again if you can't find the thread.
I might recommend something very new by my sometimes-Budapest-based compatriot and acquaintance Gerard Gorman which is his European Woodpeckers book...? Might that suit?

Best

David

I can recommend the Dominic Couzens book "The Secret Lives of Garden Birds". It's A4 sized, beautifully illustrated, and takes you through the year, month by month. I found it quite fascinating.

If you are interested in American birds
Hilty: Birds of tropical america. Available from abebooks.com. Very well written and engaging. Ornithology at its best.

Anything by Scott Weidensaul. Quickest to get is "Ghost with trembling wings"
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/202-1619101-0499862
but also "Living on the wind" about neotropical migration, and "Mountains of the heart" about the Appalachians.

These aren't ID books, but they are all excellent reading.

The Bird Collectors by Mearns and Mearns
Extinct Birds by Errol Fuller
Guardian spirit of the East Bank by Moss Taylor
A diversity of birds by George Stebbing-Allen

HBW - Suboscine Passerines
Birds of South America Vols 1 and 2 - real bargain at the moment

Another North American specialty book, should you ever venture over here:

Photographic Guide to North American Raptors, by Wheeler and Clark. Foreword by Pete Dunne. Academic Press. 1995.

Absolutely invaluable for IDing juvie, perched and soaring NA raptors.

Lars Johnson : Birds and Light
Great prints of Lars work and good insight into his passion for birds. Birthday or not, anyone would appreciate this book if they have the slightest interest in birds.
Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back