• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buying a scope (1 Viewer)

Al Tee

Thinking of buying a scope but finding things a little confusing. Prices seem to range from £50 to over £1000.

Had a look in the local camera shop & saw a Summit 15 - 45 x 60 for £80. Are they any good or just a waste of money?

I have also seen articles on digiscoping and own a Nikon Coolpix 2100. Is this adaptable for digiscoping?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

The problem with lower end optics is, as you get more into the hobby and/or look through the better range of optics you see the difference and want to upgrade. I know I have over the years (and think most people do as well), I started with a Nikon spotting scope (cost I think £250 new), which I thought was great until my friend had an optolyth TBS80 which was far superior (and made identification easier) so I upgraded (second hand cost £200+ can't remember), then the new Leicas and Swarovski scopes hit the market, and my optolyth seemed poor in comparison, so I ended up upgrading again so over the years the cost of optics mounted up.

I think the best advice is buy the best you can afford, but make sure you give it a proper comparison with others around the same price.

Al Tee said:
Thinking of buying a scope but finding things a little confusing. Prices seem to range from £50 to over £1000.

Had a look in the local camera shop & saw a Summit 15 - 45 x 60 for £80. Are they any good or just a waste of money?

You're right there is a massive range of scopes out there and you can pay almost anything for them. It would be fair to say that you get what you pay for - a £100 scope might be OK, but a £300 will be much better and so on. I don't know the scope you have seen, but the only way to find out will be to test it for yourself.

The best advice I can give is to work out your budget and then only look at scopes withing your price range - if you look at something more expensive you'll just end up wanting it...

If you feel that you won't get a scope that you're happy with for your budget it's always a good idea to look at secondhand scopes, that way you'll be able to get a better scope for your money. I'm sure if you were to give an indication of your budget people on here could recommend a scope or two.

I bought the Raven, as I wanted to get a scope at the time. Have used it mostly in winter. I selected a new one, as it has a warranty. I should be able to get 5 years out of it. If you find a trustworthy place to find a used one, go ahead. Lots of people like me eventually buy a second one, and there is nothing wrong with the *cheaper* scope. And people DO keep moving up.

BUY A GOOD TRIPOD. Try it in the store. Deals with tripod included can be a good savings.

Last edited:
Even though it is certainly true that you may eventually "move up", that doesn't mean to say your "starter" scope won't be useful later - to use in bad weather conditions; in areas where you might be worried about theft; times where you think you may be sharing it with a bunch of people; etc. I know I do that with binocs (leave my expensive ones home sometimes). I'm still on my first scope (an inexpensive 15-45x60 Nikon), but I'm keeping it when/if I move up.

Last edited:
Photography is one of the few hobbies where, almost without exception, you get what you pay for. Though I don't digiscope (not versitile or fast enough for me) I'd suggest you pass this scope up and spend a little more. I've used scopes and binoculars that are lower end and the distortion and fringing can be terrible and will probably be very evident in a photograph.

postcardcv said:
You're right there is a massive range of scopes out there and you can pay almost anything for them. It would be fair to say that you get what you pay for - a £100 scope might be OK, but a £300 will be much better and so on. I don't know the scope you have seen, but the only way to find out will be to test it for yourself.

The best advice I can give is to work out your budget and then only look at scopes withing your price range - if you look at something more expensive you'll just end up wanting it...

If you feel that you won't get a scope that you're happy with for your budget it's always a good idea to look at secondhand scopes, that way you'll be able to get a better scope for your money. I'm sure if you were to give an indication of your budget people on here could recommend a scope or two.
Thanks for the advice, may well keep looking in shops like Jessops & LCE for anything second hand that looks decent.
Thanks,
Al Tee

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back