• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HDMI Computer and monitor (1 Viewer)

redtail7

HI
Wonder if anyone is using a computer with HD video card and a HDMI monitor. I have a flat screen Viewsonic monitor and a computer that puts out only analog signal. Pictures when taken right look good on my present system. Question- Will purchasing a new computer HD and a monitor HDMI give me any noticeable difference in my SLR camera photos, than I'm already getting on my old computer. I have a Nikon D300 which puts out HDMI. If anyone has switched over to the HD computer and HDMI monitor your comments would be greatly appreciated. Regard Tony

It depends on how good your orginal monitor and graphics card are. A HD monitor should be able to show at least 1920x1080 pixels as a native resolution, that is one pixel of graphics card output equates to one physical pixel on the monitor, LCD moniotrs always look best when displayed at their native resolution as there is no need for any interpolation. Most LCD panels intended for computer use tend to be a slightly taller than those for TV use, so although full HD is 1920x1080 they will show 1920x1200.

This is a slippery slope you're embarking on. Spending can build into four figures easily.
As Momo says, the native resolution of your screen is the key parameter. If it is less than 1920x1080, spending for HDMI components is money wasted. However, assuming your Viewsonic has the needed capability, plus the needed HDMI or DVI ports, you might get a better picture with an HDMI input. Note that quality monitors for photographers with better color fidelity cost several times what an average consumer screen of the same size costs. Also note that most video cards today use PCI-E slots, while older computers only have AGP slots, so make sure card and computer are compatible before buying..

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back