• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upgrading from Trinovid BA to Ultravid HD (1 Viewer)

Finally, the view with the Trinovids is very easy. I put them to my eyes and instantly I'm 8 or 10 times closer - no trying to get it just right so there is no "black-out" - a noticeable problem I found with the Nikon SE binocular. I really like how the eyecups pull up and lock up - no slow twisting of either one back down. All in all, the Trinovid is pretty much a perfect package for me.

Well said and, in my view, entirely accurate. Interestingly, three years ago I decided my Leica 7 x 42 BA was redundant of my Zeiss 7 x 42 BGA Classic and attempted repeatedly to sell it on a number of internet venues known to most Forum members with a minimum price of $650, and received no takers and zero interest. Fortunately, I came to my senses, convinced my wife (a strong proponent for the sale in the first place) that the Zeiss and Leica really were two completely different binoculars, and consider myself lucky indeed that the BA series was regarded at the time as hopelessly outdated and out of favor.

Marketing

I think the birding magazines are a lot like the photographic mags. They spend a lot of time promoting the latest products from the big manufacturers. This subtle marketing convinces many people that they must have the latest kit. The concensus on this forum is that the diffrences between BA BN and Ultravids is fairly small. I certainly don't intend to part with my BA's.

I'm going to have a try out of a friend's Ultravids but its looking like i will probably stick with the BA's and invest the money in a good birding trip. (I'm keen on a photographic/birding trip to Hungary next Spring. I was there last Autumn and definately want to return.)

Richard

I have a pair of 8x32 BAs and recently purchased a Swarovision 8.5x42. The Swaros are brighter have better contrast, more neutral colours and control CA better, but the little Leicas are still very close. If you can get a good deal on one take it. You can read the Alula review of the Zeiss FLs where there is a mention of the 8x32 BN.

Ben

Still interested in a new pair of bins

I'm still interested in a new pair of bins. Reckon I'll bug everyone to try out their Ultravids and Swaros when I go to Scotland next week.

I'd like to do a good comparison between the Ultravid 10 x 42 and the equivalent Swarovision model. Big problem is that nobody has the new Swaro's yet. I'm going to Norfolk again in July so I suppose I may have to wait till then for a comparison.

I'd like to do a good comparison between the Ultravid 10 x 42 and the equivalent Swarovision model.

Me too - I got my HDs after the Swaros were delayed, and I'm kinda curious myself. If you can do a 3-way with them and the FLs I'd be very interested as to your findings!

Tom,
I have a pair of FL's but they are 8 x 32's. Very bright, super clear and really lightweight compared to the Trinnies, but, requires a lot of re-focussing. I reckon the depth of field is quite a bit les than the Trinnies. My friend has a pair of the 10 x 42's so I must do a comparison with the Trinnies.

Last edited:
I see the Swaros are falling in price now. £1660 - £1590. At this rate they will be neck and neck with the Ultravids. I really must get the two brands together in good light to see if there is a difference. My problem is that I'll have to wait until I go back to Norfolk in July as there is no shop in Northern Ireland which stocks both brands.

Just back from a 4 day trip to Scotland. I tried a number of high spec bins. Swaro EL (old model) Ultravid 10 x 42HD, Zeiss Fl 10 x 42. So far I liked the Ultravids the best. They were definately considerably brighter than the BA's.

I want to try the Ultravids against the Swarovision 10 x 42, though still happy with my old BA's

Ergonomic Differences

I found the Ultravids a fair bit lighter to hold. The basic shape and access to focus wheel was very similar to the BA.

When looking at the Swarovski EL (old model) I found them colder on the hands compared with the Leicas.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back