• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Cay / Wakodahatchee wetlands (1 Viewer)

We've been discussing this elsewhere, so I thought we could dedicate a thread to one of the best birding areas in south Florida.

Starting things off with two questions:

1) Has anyone ever seen a Reddish Egret here? and
2) When might be a good time to spot Painted Buntings?

:-O

1. I never have which brings up an interesting point must one travel to the Keys or up to Central Florida to see them? How about Sandhil cranes anyplace in the W Palm/Broward area to reliably see them?
2. In winter at a feeder.

I've seen Sandhill cranes at Okeeheelee 5 or 6 times. Except for one time when I saw 3 on the trail I have seen them to the right of the Nature Center hanging out under the big tree. It's usually a groupf of 5.

Green Cay on Saturday - the Wigeon was being cooperative right by the boardwalk

Wako today - Black-necked Stilt near the entrance and a Snipe right off the boardwalk. Someone was saying he'd seen the Virginia Rail and gave me "directions," so I did the walk a second time but couldn't figure out where he meant :(.

eta: could someone re-say where the Green's nest is (and dumb it down a lot?)?

1. I never have which brings up an interesting point must one travel to the Keys or up to Central Florida to see them? How about Sandhil cranes anyplace in the W Palm/Broward area to reliably see them?
2. In winter at a feeder.

1. I have seen Redish Egrets at Merritt Island NWR consistently in past years.

2. Also have seen Painted Buntings at the feeder in Corkscrew Swamp Sancturary and at the Nature Center in Okeeheelee Park.

Paul,

In the W Palm Beach area, if you take the Beeline Hwy NW out of town there are almost always a couple of cranes along the road between here and Indiantown, just cruising the swales.

I'm usually only travelling that road mornings and late afternoons, but I almost always see them unless it's high summer.

2. Also have seen Painted Buntings at the feeder in Corkscrew Swamp Sancturary and at the Nature Center in Okeeheelee Park.

I have been to Okeeheelee several times with no luck at that birdfeeder. Do you see them at all times of day or just mornings?

Green Cay on Saturday - the Wigeon was being cooperative right by the boardwalk

Wako today - Black-necked Stilt near the entrance and a Snipe right off the boardwalk. Someone was saying he'd seen the Virginia Rail and gave me "directions," so I did the walk a second time but couldn't figure out where he meant :(.

eta: could someone re-say where the Green's nest is (and dumb it down a lot?)?

Indeed - got some excellent widgeon shots this time on Sunday - he was practically UNDER the boardwalk, and hanging out in close proximity. I also got some excellent snipe shots of that one by the front, and a nice black-crowned night heron hanging out along the tree line just before the first gazebo. The stilt was a bit too far off out on the center island for any good shots...but nice to see them coming back in town. Eastern phoebes are mixing in with the warblers at Green Cay, in the left-side tree canopy.

No luck with the Virginia again myself - I walked excrutiatingly slow through the whole back area, and saw lots and lots of sora...but no Virginia.

The baby GBherons at Wako are really putting on a lovely show - filling up at least 5 of the nests, and moving all about, they are offering some great photo ops!

The green heron nest I know of at Wako, assuming we're talking of the same one, would be taking the left (clockwise) loop, over the levee, past the GBHs nesting on the left, curve around to the right until you get to the 90 degree left-hand turn, then head down about 30 feet, and there's a clump of trees growing close to the boardwalk on your right-hand side. The green herons are nesting at about rail-level, maybe 7 feet off the boardwalk - they are partially blocked by some of the branches, so getting shots is a bit tricky. Haven't seen babies yet - mom's been staking out the nest area, while dad's been going back and forth bringing building supplies. On Sunday, I often saw the two of them there together building, then watching the male flutter off to get more leaves/branches.

Last edited:
Confused - left would be clockwise. That's what you mean, correct?

Also at Green Cay: a big bunch of Yellow-rumped Warblers. If you take the center short-cut path, they were in the bushes to the right immediately before the "T". I didn't get good pics though, mostly because of impatience.

Clockwise...yes. I said clockwise. Can't you see in my post above? It says clockwise. (well it does now, since I edited it! ;) ). Sorry, left as in clockwise.

Yup, that is exactly where i saw the Little Green's nest as well.

I got really spoiled today. Bald Eagle near Atlantic and Homewood!!
I thought, what the heck is the huge black bird with the white tail, soaring eastward so elegantly..I didn't notice the white head until he was almost gone. D'oh.
Had the same stupid reaction when I saw one a few weeks ago at High Ridge. First reaction: What? that's not a vulture! That's too big to be a hawk!
I keep thinking it's an imposssible sighting. I also thought the folks who told me about the one I saw today were talking about Dad, the huge osprey that hangs out on Atlantic.

I've heard there's a bald eagle nesting out on Pines Blvd near 27...I haven't been out there to see it yet, but would like to...that's something of a rare sight down here.

When canoeing at Grassy Waters in Jan we were told there were two eaglets there. But we were on the hour long trip so we didn't get close to the nest further down.

If anyone is interested in volunteering to help clean up natural areas with ERM--we're doing the Hypoluxo Scrub on Saturday the 12th, 9am till noon. I've done 3- Limestone Creek in Jupiter, Pondhawk in Boca ( not completed but you can wander around in there. It's some former IBM property, you can still see part of the heart trail.) Then we did Juno Dunes West. Funny what old crap you find!

I live about 1/2 mile from Pondhawk. Thanks for the cleanup! I'd be happy to join a cleanup - I've done a few in the past...but I don't know if I'll be able to make that one or not. I assume it's open to whoever shows - so if I can make it, I just show up, right?

I'm sure that would be fine.Ann's email limited it to 25 who register, but that ' s mainly due to parking. I won 't be parking there and there are plenty of spots at the winn dixie plaza across the street

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back